Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I discovered something. >
  • I discovered something.

• I discovered something.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM

the thing I love about this idea is that you SEWED it! I never thought to sew the paper. I use graph paper with colored pencils, or color copies of fabric pieces cut to size, and then I use scotch tape. Oh DUH SUE!!!

Thanks!
    Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 PM
    Power Poster

Many years ago I made a paper quilt with spring floral wrapping papers and glued it all together. It was a really pretty spring floral geometric design. When I finished and I bought a great frame and it hung in one of the bedrooms a long time before I donated it to a thrift shop. My friend through a fit I hadn't offered it to her.

I also have in the past used graph paper to make templates for my blocks. But, not for a while. I love the new way of cutting with a ruler and mat. Many of the specialty rulers have made quilting so much nicer.
    Old 01-20-2014, 03:56 PM
    Power Poster

I so appreciate low tech solutions to puzzles/ problemd!
    Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM
    Power Poster

A very good idea and cheap way to test a pattern, your cutting and piecing all at one time. Aren't you the smart one. TFS
    peace
    Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM
    Power Poster

Taking this idea a little further ...... to get kids involved in quilting ....

At our local Fairs, it's not uncommon to see a demonstration area with cut out shapes when put together to form quilt blocks that are on display. These can be done with construction paper or for more durability they can be laminated; or cut the shapes out of coroplast (without seam allowances).

A "leader" will be there to help the kids learn about the history of quilting, names of blocks, etc. and then will get them "piecing" their blocks together. And too, it's surprising, how many times you see adults stop to make some blocks too!!
    Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I like to cut coloured construction paper into the pieces without seam allowances and put them together like a puzzle. A little scotch tape and I can construct the block to see how it looks.
    I've even scanned my fabric into my computer and cut out the block pieces to size without seam allowances. Did this once when I just couldn't decide if the fabrics were right for the block I wanted to do. Came out pretty good!
    Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM

Just a heads up from the lesson I learned.
    I used colored copy paper, made a small version of my pattern to be sure where to put what color.
    It was fine, until I cut all the diamonds for my king size bedspread, all for one side.
    From then on I copy a graft paper lines onto one side of my pattern making paper so I can always tell the right side from the left side! This way I can tell if I have flipped my paper over! DUH!
    Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM

I'm so happy you posted this idea. I'm working on cutting out a new quilt but I wanted to add some pieces to make it bigger and my own. I plan on using paper pieces first to expand my quilt. Thank you!!
    Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I like to cut coloured construction paper into the pieces without seam allowances and put them together like a puzzle. A little scotch tape and I can construct the block to see how it looks.
    I have done this, too, and then used the paper to make a template. I have also used construction paper and tape to make a strip set to try out a new technique (I didn't want to purchase an expensive ruler, so was experimenting). That way I could make sure I was cutting at the right angles and that my strips were wide enough.
    Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 PM
    Power Poster

When I used to do garments I would use cheap Pellon interfacing to test a pattern. I also will draw a quilt block pattern out on graph paper and using my large box of crayons (108 colors) test my color choices.