Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I feel so frustrated... >
  • I feel so frustrated...

• I feel so frustrated...

Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Ive used a variety of threads in my machine but all were poly threads. Some no-name brand I got a assortment of embroidery thread colors, isacord, Guterman, Coats and Clark. Not had the shredding problem. I am using a 80/12 universal needle. Open toe FMQ foot modified to not hop, feed dogs UP and working, supreme slider on top of bed.
    Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 AM

I have a 4.0 and recently bought the Performance 5. Usually I can FMQ without any problems, including metallics, BUT I have to take the tension down quite a bit. You'll probably find that the default (if you're using the Sensormatic mode) is 4.6. For 40 wt cotton thread, using a 90/14 Topstitch needle, my tension is around 3.8-4.2. Experiment to see which one is best.

Re the CT thread - I'm not a huge fan, but have FMQed with it on a Gammill quite successfully. However, I had a pale green spool that simply would not play ball. It snapped countless times. Just the other day I took the same spool out to FMQ on my Performance. Nope. Tension down, tension up, rethreaded, changed bobbin, new Titanium needle - still snapping. After about the third unpick I changed to a poly thread (it was a tablerunner, so not too fussed about using cotton) I was given. No problems.

My money is on your tension and/or a rogue spool of thread. Happy Quilting!
    Old 11-11-2014, 04:25 AM
    Power Poster

Did you recently purchase this DSM from a dealer? You might contact them and see if you can demo the problem. I use Mettler silk wrapped thread on my Bernina and I never had this problem.
    Old 11-11-2014, 04:40 AM

Sorry to hear of all your problems. I have a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 870 and have experienced your problems. What solved everything for me was to lower my tension all the way down to 1! Just play with lowering your tension. It really has made all the difference for me. I no longer have issues! Good luck!
    Old 11-11-2014, 04:55 AM
    Power Poster

When the thread I use starts shredding I keep going up in needle size and starting with 0 tension, adjusting up until it stops. For stubborn thread, a jean size needle usually works. CT cotton is made for piecing so it isn't as strong as the CT poly machine quilting thread.
    Old 11-11-2014, 05:25 AM

I FMQ on my Mom's 1958 Kenmore. I have experienced your thread breaking problem plus skipping stitches. It's so frustrating. For me, it's all come down to the needles. For piecing and regular sewing, any old needle will do. Real inexpensive ones from ebay are just fine.

For FMQ I find I need a brand name needle. Mom's machine came with a bunch of needles - I don't know if they are all new. I think Mom was the type to put her old needle back in the package and not throw it out. I found one that worked (size 14) and kept it separate, in a labeled case. Darned if I didn't bend it recently so I had to go through all the others in her collection. After cycling through about 5 needles I finally found another that worked, this time an Organ brand. I've since ordered a whole package of them. (I hope I bought the exact same one.) But for me the difference was not thread, it was 100% needle.

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 11-11-2014 at 05:29 AM.
    Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 AM

I had a similar problem with Connecting Threads for quilting. Without any hiccups I can use Isacord, or any of the embroidery type poly threads.
    Old 11-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Strange, isn't it how our machines prefer one thread over another? I use CT polyester cones and have no trouble most of the time. When there is a problem it usually winds up being operator (me) error!
    Old 11-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd
    I feel so frustrated with trying to fmq. I have a pfaff qe 4.2 and I thought fmq'ing would be easier. I am using CT thread and a 90 needle. (I have tried other needles and other thread) and it doesn't matter what I do, my thread shreds right at the needle. I have tried slowing down my hands. I've tried speeing up my machine, but I just can't find that sweet spot where it all comes together. Is it really that hard to find the point where it just works? I can sometimes sew 10 seconds before it shreds and other times I can go a whole minute before it shreds.

I srippled two 12" blocks and part of the border on my quilt and the thread must have shredied at least 10-15 times. (Could have been more.)

I have searched the board and read other posts regarding shredding.

I have watched dozens of videos. I have doodled like crazy and want more than anything to be able to do something other than straight lines.
    If you are using a 12 or 14 needle with cotton thread from CT you should be good there...but also might want to check your tension. Just because the thread is locking in the quilt sandwich doesn't necessarily mean your tension couldn't be too tight. Bobbin and top tension are a system...they have to work together to lock the stitch in the fabric...BUT, that system can be set too tight or too loose and that alone can create a lot of trouble.

Another thing to consider is the fabric you're using. Fabric with prints that are bonded (like almost a thin plastic rather than actual INK printed onto the fabric) and batik's are notorious for causing issues when FMQ.
    Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Well this is interesting. I'm chugging along just now with my FMQ and my thread keeps breaking!! Sound familiar? In one 5" block I broke my thread at least 6 times. During on of my re-threading episodes, I noticed my thread was not pulling freely. Turns out the spool of thread had a spot in the middle of it where the thread seems to be stuck, wound too tight - IDK. I changed to another spool and I'm off again. So you never know do you?