Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I finally did it!!! and projects coming out my ears!!! >
  • I finally did it!!! and projects coming out my ears!!!

• I finally did it!!! and projects coming out my ears!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 AM

As I have a slipped disc and can't sit more than 15 minutes at a time, I keep my ironing board in the other room so I have to actually walk back and forth between the sewing machine and the ironing board. Gives me just a little bit of exercise too. My cutting table is between the two so it helps.

As to the heat, my sewing room is in the basement but I have a thermostat on every floor so I can set it to what I want where ever I'm at. Never heard of baseboard heating till I moved to Iowa. Baseboards have water running through them but its heated by gas. I guess that's similar to radiator heating from times past. But I love it as its not as drying as a regular gas furnace..................in my opinion.
    Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks for sharing...
    Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978
    As I have a slipped disc and can't sit more than 15 minutes at a time, I keep my ironing board in the other room so I have to actually walk back and forth between the sewing machine and the ironing board. Gives me just a little bit of exercise too. My cutting table is between the two so it helps.

As to the heat, my sewing room is in the basement but I have a thermostat on every floor so I can set it to what I want where ever I'm at. Never heard of baseboard heating till I moved to Iowa. Baseboards have water running through them but its heated by gas. I guess that's similar to radiator heating from times past. But I love it as its not as drying as a regular gas furnace..................in my opinion.
    Electric baseboards used to be quite common in the midwest, don't know if they are still available or not. But small portable heaters are everywhere, for about 15-25 dollars, less if one sale.
    Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM

Your sewing area is much too neat, would you like me to come over and fix that for you? Kidding aside your suggestions are terrific. I find myself sitting for hours at the cutting table or the sewing machine and when I go to stand up it is truly a job. Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely try them out.
    Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 AM

your room is so neat and clean, I make a huge mess with every project, you go girl!
    Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 AM

I'm glad you've found a way to get a little exercise. I do the same thing for the same reason. Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't it be nice if we could lose a little weight doing this? I can tell you, it doesn't work tho
    Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM

I had to laugh. I deliberately keep my ironing board across the room from my sewing table so that I have to get up and down and take those few steps. Easier on my back and knees in the long run. It makes a big difference, doesn't it?
    Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 AM

Hey Misty's Mom (and others) - you use that plastic table (covered, of course) for an ironing surface? I have those tables too and have thought of doing that, but I thought they would surely warp from the heat. How long have you been using it that way? I would love to ditch my old rickety ironing board and use a nice sturdy table!
    Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
    Power Poster

I like your ingenuity - and your neat sewing room. My New Year's resolution (I don't usually make them) is to get my sewing area better organized so that I can make better use of the space, especially since I only have a 6' table to work with, and a very small craft table that holds my sewing machine. Otherwise everything is stacked upon stacks and one day I may get buried under them. LOL. Hope springs eternal.
    Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Stitch, I have my ironing board in the next room, so I have to get up. It's near the tv, so I can watch while I iron. I like the way you think regarding the exercising!