Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I guess I should have read about it first - Frixion Pens >
  • I guess I should have read about it first - Frixion Pens

• I guess I should have read about it first - Frixion Pens

Old 12-27-2015, 05:46 AM

I apparently am too fast for those pens - the friction of me zipping the pen ball along the fabric would make my lines vanish as quickly as they were drawn! I had to slow way down and that was annoying. (I also sort of don't trust them on fabric, I use them at work now.)

I use plain ol' tailor's chalk unless I need a really fine drawing and then I use the blue wash-out pens. I like the tailor's chalk because it always comes out, and I don't have to worry about "setting" it with the iron like I do with the blue wash-out pens. Plus it's extremely inexpensive and easy to find. I have it in white, blue, yellow and red - between those four colors I can always find one that shows up on the fabric I'm using.

It also reminds me of my gran, who was a quilter.

I use a Sharpie for tracing patterns, though. If it's going to be hidden in the seam allowance I love my Sharpies for marking fabric.
    Old 12-27-2015, 07:12 AM

I have used them and love them. I have also used their highlighters. I ran my own experiment with them. I took about 15 different fabric scraps and wrote on them with a Friction pen and highlighter.I ironed them and put them in the freezer and the lines came back. Then I ironed them again and threw it in the washing machine with Tide.I put them back in the freezer and about half of them came back very faintly.
    I also did a demo the same way for my quilt guild using various different marking methods. I don't remember all of them right now. I left them on the fabric as they were, I also ironed over them before I washed them. I did find that a lot of the blue marking methods were the hardest to get out. There must be something in the blue that makes it harder to remove. I used about 15 different marking methods and several colors of some of them.
    Old 12-27-2015, 09:58 AM
    Power Poster

Washing with detergent has removed every mark on my quilts, none have reappeared. Odd that some does.
    Old 12-27-2015, 10:29 AM

I use them all the time & (knock on wood) I never had a problem with the lines coming back. Hopefully I never do because I really like using them.
    Old 12-27-2015, 10:51 AM

I know some use the washable crayola fine line markers. The kind kids use.It has to be the Ultra-clean washable markers. I have tried them and so far no problems. I have used the frixiion gel pens but they do come back for me. They always leave a white line. I don't use them anymore unless I know it won't show up somewhere.
    Old 12-27-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae
    Hi All. A co-worker asked me if I would make two plain pillows for her mother (she gave me the material). I used a turquoise Fixion pen on the top to help with quilting. It was great except I had no idea that after ironing the lines out that they could re-appear if the item gets cold. Several women on quilt videos on YouTube raved about them so I gave it a try. Well the pillows were in the car for a while in the cold and the lines came back.

I was so excited about the pen but now am avoiding them. I guess it was too good to be true. This was my first time using the pen. I had plans to use the pen on several more items including a baby quilt.

Is there a trick to them working?

Thanks and blessings for the New Year!

I think once you wash it, it won't happen again. If you iron it again, it will disappear again.
    Old 12-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Grammy04
    I know some use the washable crayola fine line markers. The kind kids use.It has to be the Ultra-clean washable markers. I have tried them and so far no problems. I have used the frixiion gel pens but they do come back for me. They always leave a white line. I don't use them anymore unless I know it won't show up somewhere.

I use the FriXion pens where they won't show, for things like drawing the lines to make HST's, and I really like them for that.

For everything else, I use the Crayola ultra-clean markers. I LOVE them! I've used every color and even ironed over them, and they've always washed right out.

I ended up throwing out several of those Chaco chalk markers because none of the colors that I used (red, blue, yellow and grey) washed out and two quilts that I used them on were ruined. I've read that the white ones are fine, but once burned...

My bad...I should have tested them first. It was an expensive and frustrating lesson.

Last edited by SherylM; 12-27-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Old 12-28-2015, 02:19 AM

Never used them after researching their use on cloth.
    Old 12-28-2015, 02:23 AM

I opted not to use them after I did some research.
    Old 12-28-2015, 05:39 AM

FriXion pens are the only thing I have used that gave me a thin enough line. The only colors I had trouble with were orange and red, which did not completely iron out. I didn't go as far as washing whatever it was to test that.

I do use yellow Chaco, but don't like the way the powder gets all over the needle and bed.