Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I hate it!  I hate it!! >
  • I hate it! I hate it!!

• I hate it! I hate it!!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

My quilts are given to a quilter because after the time and money that I have in them want them to look good. Do not need any added stress in my life. Good luck with your quilt.
    Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by shamrock
    Machine quilting anything over 24 " square, I hate it. My machine knows I hate it! My whole sewing room braces for it. I have eased the presser button, the tension, I'm just straight sewing, nothing fancy. Grrrrr!
    Thank you, I feel better. I'll have a cup of coffee and a cookie, and go at it again.
    I hate it with a passion right along with you!!! I decided a while ago that

A) Life is too short to wrestle a big quilt through the throat of a small machine, and more importantly

B) Hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. If they aren't enjoyable, they can't be called hobbies, they are punishment. That means that

C). People who persist in doing something that is punishment are masochists.

D). I am not a masochist. I now enjoy piecing, and quilt by check.

And people who tell you to hang in there are sadists who enjoy the pain of others. My advice: Decide whether it's worth the aggravation, and if not, don't do it.
    I came to the same conclusion. I do not enjoy quilting the quilt. As a matter of fact I hate it. I can justify the cost of having a quilt quilted 1. They do a better job than I ever could 2. It's a small price to pay for using a 10,000 to 30,000 machine to quilt my quilt. Cheaper than owning one!
    Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Monika
    Maybe you should try a cookie and and a glass of wine.... :D

seriously.....hang in there and good luck!!!
    chocolate covered strawberries go better with WHINE...hehehe
    Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 AM

I feel for you. I also have the exact samae problem Thats why I have 8 finished top sitting nicely folded on my shelf
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM

If you don't feel comfortable with a project, why are you doing it? I prefer to hand quilt the small projects, but send the big quilts to those who like that kind of thing. Did somebody tell you that "everyone" should machine quilt--I don't, and I am happy with that. piecefully, the old one
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM

Hey Girls, I work in a Bernina Store and we have an 820 set up and rent it out so people can quilt their own. It is a very successful idea and the ladies love free motioning their own quilts. We also have templates they can follow if they wish. Have fun. I personally do it, I make my quilts to use, not show and eveyone I give them too loves them. So Good Luck and see if there is anyone (shop) around you that does this.
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 AM

How long must one practice FMQ? I just started and have got to tell you - my practice sandwich looks pretty nasty!! How do you keep the stitching even? Mine starts out tiny, then gets large and curves ?? Fuhgetaboudit. Uhhhgly !!
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 AM

I am with you! Life is too short. I know several ladies that have long arms and they are getting to be very close friends. I don't have the room or the patience to FMQ a full size quilt.

If I want to quilt something I Quilt-As-You-Go. Every pattern I look at I ask "Can I convert this to a QAYG?" With practice I am getting better at small projects, but I am not going to wrestle a full quilt through my sewing machine.
    Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM

I still wanted to FMQ so I bought a used machine with a bigger throat area. No family member has been a quilt police and don't mind that my lines cross over sometimes or the loops and hearts and not even.

Is it worth an additional machine to pursue FMQ? I got mine used so the cost was only $600 for a Janome 6500P. It made life simpler for me and it fit flat at the front in my old Parson cabinet too.

Try it again later, or come on over to ILL and try mine out. Really, I am out of school now and you can see perfect doesn't always matter!
    Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I hear you. I have two queen size quilts waiting for me in my studio. I agree on the wine but think 10:30 in the morning is a little to early to start on the wine.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere :?