Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >
  • I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

• I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Oh brother who told you this? Not many us have or can afford to have our quilts done on a longarm. Whatever works...works. And yes I call myself a quilter!
    Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 PM

chairjogger-- sounds like one of the quilting police snuck onto our site! sitd can be very challenging, and lots of times it is the very best choice for that pattern! i know fmq-ers who would rather have surgery than do sitd. and i think you ought to take a look at some of the credits on quilts done by people renowned in the quilting community. most of them have someone else quilt for them. does that make them non-quilters? it's all a process and mastering the part you like best or just plain enjoying the whole deal still makes you a quilter!
    Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM

Maybe they are jealous they cant SID! I do not know why people have to be so mean. You go girl keep doing what you are doing!
    Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Oh my goodness, how rude. I've been told to "stitch in the ditch" often. You must not worry about what anyone else says and just quilt the way you want to and be secure in your abilities.
    Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 PM

SID is time consuming and definately not a cop out! There are as many ways to quilt as there are quilter's...whoever called SID a copout...has never tried doing SID.
    Marge

Originally Posted by chairjogger
    So, the laziness, the "cop out" of doing your own quilting, but the "send out to long arm" is not.

bruised about this.. each stitch counts.. sat and took it on the chin.. so to speak.

..will continue to stitch my own creations, using the most cost effective way possible to enjoy my quilting.

Yes, I consider myself a quilter.

Ell
    Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 AM

Phooey on them!!

I found out I was SID the wrong way. I didn't know I was supposed to stitch on one side or the other and I just wing it... I have never taken a class or anything (can you guess?) LOL!
    Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 AM

It doesn't lmatter how you finish your quilt. It is your choice and no one elses business. I hand quilt and the lstitches are all sizes sometimes depending on how the old Arthritis is at the time. I tie a lot too and outline too. No one who gets the quilts has ever complained. They just get a big ole smile on thier face and say thanks mom/grandma!!!
    Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Any quilting that I do I consider quilting...I always think if someone is saying something to be rude that maybe they don't feel good about what THEY do...so they try and "tear" someone else's work down to build themselves up...just my opinion.
    Kif
    Old 04-19-2013, 06:02 AM

Okay, so I just watched a Q&A with Jenny Doan and she says stitch in the ditch is one of the hardest methods of quilting, because it is easy to pop out of the ditch. Thank you Jenny!
    Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 AM

Okay, so I just watched a Q&A with Jenny Doan and she says stitch in the ditch is one of the hardest methods of quilting, because it is easy to pop out of the ditch. Thank you Jenny for vindication!