Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have had this ruler for years.  Just now figured it out. >
  • I have had this ruler for years. Just now figured it out.

• I have had this ruler for years. Just now figured it out.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:38 AM

At this point with the back trouble I'm having, anything that eliminates trimming is worth considering.
    Old 07-20-2023, 11:01 AM
    Power Poster

It's a Block Lock so I knew it would be good, just had to rethink strip set cutting. I wonder why it isn't promoted more. I have never seen it in quilt shops.
    Old 07-20-2023, 06:27 PM

I spend a king's ransom on my stripology ruler and I have never regretted it. Sometimes the expensive plastic is worth the cost! I'm a ruler collector to a large degree, especially if I find them on sale!
    Old 07-21-2023, 05:21 AM

I have one of those... I might have used it, once upon a time. Forgot all about it until I saw your picture!

There are others I purchased bc of a demo going on at a show or in a shop. If you don't use them right away, you forget what wonderful thing they were supposed to do!
    Old 07-22-2023, 02:42 AM

Oh gee...this has been on my mind since first reading the post. Finally gave into temptation and ordered it from Wal-mart of all places, it's not carried in the store. It will arrive in two days and the shipping was free, although they did charge taxes. I have a complete tote or two of strips and partials I could cut up to make a wonderful quilt or more for charity. Even if I did a little each day it would help reduce these totes so they cn be filled with something else.. Love accurate piecing and cutting.
    Old 07-22-2023, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

Here is a video how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esr_-N4NEk0
    It's an old video. Strange the ruler hasn't been seen or heard of since. I thought about demo of of at guild as an obscure ruler. I just got an idea. I could do a program on obscure forgotten quilting tools. Remember the 36" long ruler with lip? The original Fiskars ruler and cutter in one? Original OTT lamp? 18 x 24 Elna rotating mat stand? StarMaker rulers? I'm sure other guild members will have some different ones too. Anyone think of more?
    Old 07-22-2023, 07:30 AM

I have this ruler and comes in handy once in a while.
    When watching the Bloc Loc videos you have to remember
    that she is left-handed. So for those who are right-handed
    you have to do the reverse. That's what gets confusing
    with those videos sometimes. But it's a great ruler for
    strip sets.
    Old 07-23-2023, 11:04 AM

While I love all the new things that make quilting easier and more accurate, I use the same ruler for almost everything. I don't make quilts for show and admire those who do and share their quilts with us. I really enjoy the time I spend along the way of making a quilt. I love seeing gorgeous quilts at shows. But, I don't want to go faster or be perfect. I think about the quilt my Great Aunt Ann who made quilts without the new things or machines we have, and how much she enjoyed the quilting process. The fabric of that quilt gave out long before her stitching ever did. I think nowadays, women simply don't have time or desire to make quilts like Aunt Ann did, and I sure am grateful for my sewing machines and gadgets that allow us to make such fantastic quilts...and am grateful Aunt Ann was in my life.
    Old 07-23-2023, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

My favorite part of making a quilt is choosing fabric prints and colors for a design and seeing the result in a finished quilt. I use what makes the other steps faster and accurate. Greats only had a few resources to use to make quilts thus they used what they had. If they had the tools and supplies we have now they would want every one. There are many who love the hand work and old ways of making a quilt but I don't believe in a second any new tool would have been dismissed by our greats if they had the chance to have it.