Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have a question about applique >
  • I have a question about applique

• I have a question about applique

Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM

I am going to try to do hand applique and don't realy know where to start, can someone help me as to what I need to have ie supplies. Do I have to have heat n bond and pressing sheet and such? Any help would be wonderful!
    Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM

what i do...i use tiny embroidery scissors for snipping corners. i do 'needle turn' tho there seems to be more ppl who do iron on applique....some of the terms are - rawedge applique [use bonding agent like wonderunder stuff and then straight stitch around piece with machine - don't turn under edge of piece ergo>>raw edge applique] ..another bond piece with edge turned under and then invisible stitch around piece with machine...or just bond and zigzag or satin stitch around piece. have done the last...looks ok..but i prefer the softnes of needleturn. go to quilterscach.com....lots of lessons and lots of free block patterns too...
    Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM
    Power Poster

For needleturn applique I use straw needles, YLI silk thread, small scissors, glue sticks, toothpicks, freezer paper, an iron, a sharpie for marking, and fabric. Can't think of anything else off hand.
    Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM

straw needles or embroidery needles...but i still prefer the quilt betweens. and i don't use any glue at all. and the thread depends on the size of project - ie>>miniature, or large and the type of fabric...silk, cotton, wool etc. with applique, as i noted before there are soooo many options and ways of doing. explore...find your comfort technique.
    Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 PM

If you go to connecting threads site, they have a 4 part video instruction on applique showing the 4 different ways to do it. You need to decide which method you are going to use before you know what supplies you need
    Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM

I bought Pellon 808 fuseable and transparent nylon size .005 and freezer paper. Do I need a special needle to do this? Is this enough to start to see if this is something I will like and continue to do?
    Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    For needleturn applique I use straw needles, YLI silk thread, small scissors, glue sticks, toothpicks, freezer paper, an iron, a sharpie for marking, and fabric. Can't think of anything else off hand.
    I use these same tools.
    Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by roguequilter
    what i do...i use tiny embroidery scissors for snipping corners. i do 'needle turn' tho there seems to be more ppl who do iron on applique....some of the terms are - rawedge applique [use bonding agent like wonderunder stuff and then straight stitch around piece with machine - don't turn under edge of piece ergo>>raw edge applique] ..another bond piece with edge turned under and then invisible stitch around piece with machine...or just bond and zigzag or satin stitch around piece. have done the last...looks ok..but i prefer the softnes of needleturn. go to quilterscach.com....lots of lessons and lots of free block patterns too...
    I tried the other techniques but went right back to the original needle turn for the same reasons you stated.
    Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
    I bought Pellon 808 fuseable and transparent nylon size .005 and freezer paper. Do I need a special needle to do this? Is this enough to start to see if this is something I will like and continue to do?
    I don't know about using the nylon thread for hand applique. I don't like the feel of it and only use it for machine SID. I also prefer polyester monofilament to nylon. I haven't needed any fuseable for hand applique, but it really depends on what type of applique you want to do. Everyone has her own technique. Some people press and baste everything down before stitching. Others use a lot of glue on every piece (I use some, but only when "necessary"). Some techniques are better for particular designs. Heavier threads are used if the stitching is meant to show. Needle choice is also personal. Just start by trying out something from a book or web site, then adjust to suit your own style.
    Old 02-12-2011, 07:48 AM
    Banned

For hand applique I prefer Sharps over Straw needles. I suggest you take applique classes from several different teachers, then pick and choose the techniques you like best.