Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt. >
  • I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt.

• I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 AM
    j

What are your seam allowances on this?? -- J
    Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Your quilt, your fabric, your choice. I don't think anyone is going to sit there and try to find duplicates. If they do, beat them whith your biggest ruler!
    ..too funny!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    You can duplicate fabrics in a Postage Stamp quilt. Some are even done in designs like Many Trips Around the World, 4 Patch, Nine Patch etc. You are not supposed to duplicate fabrics in a Charm Square quilt. Soooo..... try not to duplicate fabrics in a Charm Square Postage Stamp quilt!!!
    This is my response also. I'm making a postage stamp quilt and have lots of duplicates and some triplicates. No guilt about having done so! :)
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:20 AM

I've participated in a number of the swaps here for Postage stamps. (It's the easiest since I don't have to buy fabric!) I've got a large enough selection that I think I will just put them all in a large grocery sack, shake to mix them up a bit and then start sewing! I've decided to use a neutral like a white or black every X number of blocks. I think it will be fun but is going to have to be on the quilt back burner til all the others have had their turn in line! Like most people, I have far more projects than time! :) Oh and I have duplicates as well and think that it would be fun to spend time looking for them! It would keep my grandkids busy!
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:25 AM

When my Mom passed away several years ago she had cut out only 3 different fabrics to make a postage stamp quilt and since I didn't know what other fabric she was going to use next so I am just going to use the 3 colors and how ever big the quilt will be? I have alot of fabric from my Grandmother and thought I would use her fabric for the outer boarders. I have just one piece of fabric from my Great Grand mother just enough to sew a block in each corner. This quilt will be mine to remember who taught me so much about quilting. My daughter will inherit the quilt eventually.
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:35 AM

I dont see why you cant use the same fabric especially if it doesnt look the same and you are trying for that look!Recently finished a baby quilt with sashings and corner squares of 1 inch finished. It is really tough to keep it all lined up. Perhaps someone has a suggestion in their bag of tricks. :)
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:48 AM

It is tough to keep things lined up but I've found the turning seams opposite direction so they puzzle fit together has helped! If you have fabrics with more play, this is where the challenge is!
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 AM

I didn't know you were not suppose to duplicate. Lordy how does one keep that straight unless you separate all your fabric into two groups and never mix them. I would think it would be an ongoing project and if you were working on anything else that would be hard to do. I've been trying to do a Cathedral window and not duplicate and I've blown it already. I only work putting the color in the windows when we travel so it'll take me a long time to complete.
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:51 AM

I tried to post here did not see when i came back going to post this just to see i fit goes
    Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 AM

Deary, it is your quilt. Do it any way you want! Three cheers to you for you taking on the task of those postage stamps. Have fun! We'll will never tell or likely even notice if there are duplicates. :lol: