Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt. >
  • I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt.

• I have a question about making a postage stamp quilt.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 AM

I have top a great aunt made the pieces for back in the day, 1 1/2"! Sometime before 1968 when she passed away. It's set with sashing that my grandmother and aunt did. She used a lot of the same fabrics. It's what you want, you're doing the work!
    Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Is it supposed to be a 1" block? Would it be wrong to use a 2" or 3" square? I have been thinking of cutting up some of my scraps as I go along and then sew when I get enough. Quilt police, what do you say?
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with One More Quilt, a charm square is supposed to have only one square of each block; but the postage stamp quilt is supposedly 1 1/2" squares that finish to 1". Years ago, a woman in my guild made the postage stamp block quilt, BUT she strip pieced "X" number of fabrics, then cut apart into 1 1/2" wide strips x the numer of strips. It would certainly make it faster, and perhaps a little easier than handling 1 1/2" squares. It would be for me anyway, I have enough trouble seeing 1 1/2" squares, let alone sewing them. lol I'm sure your quilt will be gorgeous when it's done.
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with One More Quilt, charm quilts are only supposed to have one square of fabric with no duplicates, but postage stamp quilts can be any number of fabrics that you choose. I admired a postage stamp quilt at a quilt show and the quilter said that she had strip pieced several 1 1/2" strips together, then cut apart into 1 1/2" strips to speed the process. That works for me, I have enough trouble seeing 1 1/2" squares, let alone piecing them together. lol I'm sure your quilt will be gorgeous.
    Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 AM

I'm still collecting for my postage stamp quilt (without dups). Some fabrics are so wild that I can get several squares from one piece. No one will ever know because they're all different.
    Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM

My HD made a postage stamp completely by hand...king size. He cut only one two inch square from each fabric he used and only started making the quilt when he had the amount he needed for the size quilt he wanted to make. That way he felt he would be safe, because he wanted each piece to be different. After he got started though, he changed his mind and decided he wanted triangular designs spaced throughtout his postage stamps...so the triangles were made with the same fabric...they were cut from squares though, so that technically he had a quilt made up of all 1 1/2 inch squares...thus a postage stamp...his own creation.
    Old 09-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Now you all are making me want to do a postate stamp quilt. I have so much fabric that I could probably make a king size and not use the same fabric twice. I think to vary the squares and triangles would be really neat, I would just have to pare a square with a triangle. Sounds really neat.
    Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM

[quote=dublb]I have started collecting fabrics for my Postage Stamp. I know that you're not supposed to duplicate any fabrics but( :wink: ) some of my scraps have so many different looks that once they are cut into 1 1/2" squares you would never know that they were from the same fabric. Is that acceptable ???

I think this will be my "leader & ender" quilt.[/quote

I personally had never heard that the Postage Stamp was not supposed to duplicate any fabrics. I have a Postage Stamp Quilt that my GGG Grandmother made in the year 1840 .... and if you go to the Posting I made on it at .... www.quiltingboard.com/t-88451 .... you can and will see what she did, and every inch of the quilt is "handsewn and quilted", with the exception of the binding, which I put on by machine.
    Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM

it is just fine I am doing the same thing with my Best friends quilt the pieces are 1.5 and 1.5 x 2.5 and 4 in
    Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 PM

I have been trying to go through my fabric scraps...cutting 4" squares for my three DGDs...if there was enough for 1.5" squares and 2"squares, I cut those as well.

'Problem' for me is do I mix all the novelity fabrics with more grown up fabrics. What would you do?