Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have a question >
  • I have a question

• I have a question

Old 01-03-2023, 06:07 AM

Default I have a question

Good morning, All! I am still in the research part of my quilting prep while I wait for incoming supplies. There seems to be considerable controversy about quilting with digitally produced fabrics. I am by nature a purist and am leaning toward traditionally-dyed 100% cotton material. I have yet to purchase fabric. Any advice from quilting divas will be greatly appreciated!!! Patty in Georgia
    Old 01-03-2023, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

It would depend on if the patterns were printed on 100%cotton fabric. Some here have printed fabric from Spoonflower I think and been happy with it. Manufactured cotton fabric is usually less expensive then having your fabric printed.
    Old 01-03-2023, 09:07 AM

The only negative I have heard so far about using digitally-printed, 100% cotton is that the dye does not penetrate the cotton deep into the fabric and so your sewing may inadvertently reorient undyed material closer to your top as your machine sews along, leaving a faint trail of white in spots of your stitching. It may be related to the age of the needle or thickness of the thread but the lack of saturation of the dye through the fabric (depending on the manufacturer??) is nothing you can do anything about.

I have no experience with digital fabrics that I am aware of, btw. I have seen no trails of white peeking through the dye that wasn't my thread :-). Try buying a digital panel from your LQS and sew on it to see what happens before you invest a bunch of money in digital fabric. Tell us your results, too. Good luck!
    Old 01-03-2023, 10:17 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with ibex94. I've had no problems with digitally printed fabrics and have been pleased with the precision of the designs.
    Old 01-03-2023, 10:28 AM

Questions are good. Jesus said, “you don’t have because you don’t ask” So, ask away!

Got some digital printed fabric ~20 yrs ago. Loved it. It’s probably better now. As long as it doesn’t mess up the quilt, I’m not going to over think 🧐 it. Let’s play with that new thang.
    Old 01-03-2023, 01:32 PM

I've found that at first I was wary of it. The only issue I have come up with is some of it feels more plastic, but I've gotten used to the feel now and it doesn't bother me as not all of it feels that way. I just wonder in the long run if the fabric will fade out more than the regular fabric through the years and through many washings. Only time will tell.
    Old 01-03-2023, 01:36 PM

Default Thank you!

These answers have all been so very helpful. I believe I will try the digital on something and set it aside, washing from time to time, and see how it holds up compared to the same pattern on traditionally dyed fabric. This board is truly a blessing!!!
    Old 01-03-2023, 07:05 PM

When buying fabric, how do you know whether or not it's been digitally printed?
    Old 01-04-2023, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

I don't overthink quilting that much. If it is a good quality or known brand and I like the color and feel, I make a quilt with it. I think digital printed fabrics are beautiful and mix them with regular cotton fabrics all the time.