Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have a question >
  • I have a question

• I have a question

Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM

I have a friend who has shared her original patterns with 'friends' only to have them teach it in the local quilt shop where she teaches, passing it off as their own design.

Unfortunately, there are folks like that in the world.

Also, when I taught quilting (for money in a shop) I asked them to sign up for the class. It is not fair to those who pay to give it to someone for free. I myself have paid to take a class just so I could get the pattern and then made it at home on my own.

Having said all that ... most people will share. I do share with my quilting 'friends' and would share with anyone on this board, but when I'm planning on selling something (like a handbag or other craft project) I don't really want to give my design to just anyone (locally) so they can make it instead of buying one or even worse, they make it and start selling it in competation with me. This may seem selfish but, frankly, I need the income.

Peggy
    Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM

yepper, go visit the shut-in.. You'll both get something out of it! You can take pictures of the quilt.. bet the shut-in will be more than happy to show you the quilt.. and that person will love having you visit and take an interest in her and her new quilt..

I wouldn't mention your not being able to get the name from whoever was having a bad day and would give it.. cripes!

I am sort of surprised at this poor lady.. first, most quilters are more than happy to tell you anything you ask regarding their quilts.. and second, most church people are usually nice and happy to share.. She was really having a bad day!! Perhaps she just needs a sweet prayer said for her.
    Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM

I don't understand her reaction either. If someone wanted to know about a pattern of something that I was showing off to them, I certainly would share it. If it was a pattern I had designed myself, I would say that, end of conversation. I had a similar response from a board member here when I asked people to post pics of their avatar quilts and tell pattern and designer. I was interested in seeing bigger photos of peoples work not trying to steal their ideas. One meber posted that she would not share her qult pattern and wasn't going to give me free lessons. I was shocked! Here is the link to the topic if you are interested in seeing the quilts of those who did want to share. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-72553-1.htm
    Good luck finding the pattern for the mystery quilt!!
    Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by gale
    I don't get it either. If someone asked me about a quilt I made I'd be so happy to talk about quilting to someone I'd probably never shut up about it.
    me to!! and c'mon wouldn't it be a compliment that someone wanted to make a quilt just like mine.. !!! Silly rude lady.. may the backside of her next quilt pucker like crazy!!! ~ too rude of me?!?!?! sorry late and im tired.. :? Mean lady!!
    Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM

My, but she was certainly acting like a good Christian!!!!
    Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
    I recently saw a lovely quilt made by one our church members. I asked the person who made it if she would mind telling me the name of the pattern, but she refused. Why are people like that.
    Hmmmm . . . are you sure she's a church member?
    Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM

I have a cheesecake recipe that is out of this world - in fact it has won contests! I've been asked for the recipe many times and am glad to share it - on ONE condition: that they do not substitute ingredients. If they are going to make it, it has to have all the calorie and fat laden components that make it wonderful. LOL
    Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Life is short ==share which is what draws people to this board so many giving hearts, compassion, Does everone know what a difference your kindness means in the lives of soooo many? A kind word does a body good. God Bless us everyone!
    Old 01-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
    I recently saw a lovely quilt made by one our church members. I asked the person who made it if she would mind telling me the name of the pattern, but she refused. Why are people like that.
    Sounds like she has insecurities. I always consider it the ultimate compliment when someone asks me for a copy of anything I've made.
    Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    You know, maybe she did not make it and did not know what to say. She forgot to ask the name. Maybe?
    I was thinking along these lines, too. Maybe she's embarrassed by something - like maybe she bought the blocks already made at a thrift store, or she copied someone's pattern that was copyrighted, or something like that.