Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have spring buying fever >
  • I have spring buying fever

• I have spring buying fever

Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 AM

It sounds like so much fun but I have made myself stop for a while. I am cruising to Alaska soon and plan to find fabric shops in every port and buy......"souvenirs" for myself!
    Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Glad I can't "catch" your fever thru the computer. LOL I've lost weight and have to buy some new clothes and I'm dreading that. Hate to shop for clothes! Now shopping for fabric is a different matter entirely.
    Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 AM

I also justify my quilting by saying I do not drink or smoke, but where do you find a pack of cigs for only $5.00 Up here they are almost $10. LOL...

Originally Posted by Barbm
    I ran to the lqs with 2 projects that I needed fabric to match. Yes, I found what I needed but they had a table and a section on the wall of clearance fabric and baskets with "ends of bolts". $215 later I have tons of fabric. But I have 6 baby quilts to do, 3 quilts for the grands as they move from toddler beds to twin beds and a wedding quilt for October. And to that a round robin I'm in- you know darn well someone will do a center with colors you never had in your stash in 5 years of quilting. Not to forget the 2 reunion quilts for July and August. I will use it all! (and I was on a mission to find a piece that I bought there a while ago- I need to make 2 table runners for my dd and gf. I bought it all- 4 yards on the clearance rack- I saved at least $16 on just this!)

I told the lady this is my smoking and drinking money. Figure- $5 a pack at a pack a day x 7 days is $35 a week, and a case of beer is about $20 (for the stuff on sale) so I spent a months worth. At least I have something to show for it. Now to save some more money!
    Old 03-18-2012, 02:44 PM

It's time for a lot of us to quit worrying about our UFO's. Maybe it's possible through this board or local quilt guilds to hook up with someone equally jaded and you could trade UFO's. Or donate them to a quilt guild that sews quilts for charity.

If there are any quilters near you, maybe your shopping trip could be car-pooled and would be all the more fun.

I just figure collecting a stash is part of the entertainment value of the hobby and don't worry too much about it, but I'm lucky enough to have a DH with a very expensive hobby of his own. Good grief, the price of a beer after a round of golf is probably equal to more than a fat quarter or two. He recently went to Las Vegas with a golf buddy. So I should worry about the cost of a little fabric? Don't think so!

Too many women have a tendency to feel bad about the little things we do for fun. If you are not cramping the family budget with out-of-control spending, just cut out the guilt trip! If you really can't afford it, that's another matter. Perhaps you can make some items that will sell on Etsy to support your hobby. Whatever you do, don't make yourself miserable about quilting. Either you love it and deserve it or you need a different hobby.
    Old 03-18-2012, 02:46 PM

I seem to have 'almost' the same bug. My problem is that I want to shop for fabric but when I do, nothing NOTHING at all interests me enough to buy. I must be sicker than I thought. HELP!
    Old 03-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Must be contagious, I have been trying to talk myself out of an order from Connecting Threads. I also have several UFO's kitted and ready to cut but am not in the mood for them.
    Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM

No decision to be made, it's shopping, of course.
    Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have so many projects that they are sitting on top of each other, but that doesn't stop me from buying more. New fabric really talks to me. And I am the kit queen of America. I buy kits from Fat Quarter Shop online and go to LQS that sell kits. Plus I buy lots of fabric lines. And then I spend a day organizing and find all kinds of fabric and kits I totally forgot about. I feel guilty. I gave away a huge box of kits to a gal here just to ease my conscience. Now I don't have to look at all those kits and know I'll never do them. Shop hops for me are so expensive. I travel so far and buy so much at each shop and if I win, it's always something little, something I can do without. So I don't shop hop except to do my own shop hopping (especially online). It's an illness. What is the name of it? Fabraholic? Quilt-sickness?