Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have witnessed 2 miracles this week: Sta Flo Starch (Heavy) and Bloc-Loc Ruler!!! >
  • I have witnessed 2 miracles this week: Sta Flo Starch (Heavy) and Bloc-Loc Ruler!!!

• I have witnessed 2 miracles this week: Sta Flo Starch (Heavy) and Bloc-Loc Ruler!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Default I have witnessed 2 miracles this week: Sta Flo Starch (Heavy) and Bloc-Loc Ruler!!!

Yes, I know this sounds tongue and cheek and my appologies if it sounds offensive but I am completely serious.

I had been using the Sta Flo starch for a few weeks at about half strength but decided to try something stronger and wow, wow, wow. The fabric behaves so nicely at every step--when cutting, when handling and when piecing. It made a huge different in the accuracy of everything. Truly amazing.

The Loc-Bloc rulers for trimming half square triangles are really, really great. While I don't keep the ruler placed and spin my fabric (I prefer to pick up my fabric and reposition the ruler), they live up to every single praise and promise I have heard. The amount of time it takes to make sure your diagonal line on your regular ruler is positioned just over the seam line and hold the ruler still so it doesn't move around is completely eliminated!!! And, the lines to measure the bottom and right side of your square are really nice fine lines--very easy to see that you are right on the edge--not like the thick yellow lines that are on the omigrid rulers that I have. I can't say enough good things about this ruler. I purchased the 3 pack of 2 1/2, 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 but quickly discovered that I really only need the 6 1/2 ruler as I like to have enough room for my palm and fingers to spread out holding the ruler down and then not feel like they are right at the edge and in danger of being cut by my trimmer.

If you struggle a bit with trimming HST or just want to make the process much more efficient, I highly recommend this ruler. Now, I am hoping to see if I can use it on a hourglass block and have good results.
    Old 10-13-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm so glad you posted this! I started my Farmers Wife quilt this week and the only part I'm having problems with is trimming all the HST. I watched the videos and this looks like it could make a big difference! I think I'll look for the 6 1/2 in ruler-thanks for the post!
    Old 10-13-2013, 03:59 PM
    Power Poster

I agree!!! I love my bloc locs! Pricey, but they really work. I have the 3 pack and use all 3 sizes. Have a turn table mat. So convenient.
    Old 10-13-2013, 04:06 PM
    DJ

Thanks for the recommendations!
    Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Very cool. Sounds like another tool I need.
    Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 AM

I put a piece of thick plastic on the 45 degree line on my 6.5" square ruler with double sided sticky tape and it works just fine for trimming up my HST's
    Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by rebeljane
    I put a piece of thick plastic on the 45 degree line on my 6.5" square ruler with double sided sticky tape and it works just fine for trimming up my HST's

I have used the tape method too but it was a bother. I use the Bloc Loc ruler a lot. To me it is an essential ruler.

I use heavy starch for all my fabric. My fabric is like paper when I cut and sew it. It helps when the pieces are small or on bias.
    Old 10-14-2013, 06:10 AM

BellaBoo, I am curious how you get your fabric to be like "paper". By using the Sta-Flo at almost full strength (about 4 or 5 parts starch to 1 part water), I could barely pump it out of my sprayer. How are you applying the starch and how thorough? I spray it but don't completely drench every inch of fabric.
    Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 AM
    Power Poster

I really like my Bloc-Locs
    Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 AM

Looks like I need to put a new ruler on my list of must haves! I just saw this ruler on another thread this morning and thought it was very interesting. Thanks for the info in it.

And the starch - I used it for doing my applique as seen here: http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/ Another plus- it's inexpensive - roughly $3 for either a 48 or 64 oz jug.