Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I just cant get it!!!! >
  • I just cant get it!!!!

• I just cant get it!!!!

Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 AM

I know you've heard it said before: Practice, Practice, Practice.

Perhaps you can find a local class on FMQ-ing. After all, we all have different learning styles. In a class the instructor can see what you are doing and help you where you need it. Videos and YouTube are great but sometimes the 'hands on' environment is best.

Please check your LQS"s for such a class. Or if need be ... take a road trip to where such a class is offered.

happy Quilting,
    ali
    Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
    Power Poster

I am slowly improving my skills in FMQ. The best aid I have found for me was fusible quilt batt. I don't have anymore wrinkles on the backs of quilts. A lot of people like the spray basting too. They both seems to stablize the sandwich so you have one less thing to worry about. I find my machinger gloves really helpful too. They aid in moving the fabric under the needle. Do you have a machine with variable speed you can set? That really helps as you can sew at a consistent speed without worrying about going too fast or too slow. Without the particulars of your FMQ problems that is all I can think of. As others have mentioned, there are lots of really good videos on the web. Keep at it and don't give up!
    Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm guessing from your name that you have accomplished a few years of sewing, either quilting or apparel. I think my biggest problem with FMQ was coming from years of sewing. I wanted to do everything forward. Give yourself permission to sew sideways and backwards. Once I did that my FMQ was possible. Practice your desired out come, curls or whatever, on any surface with the index finger of your dominant hand - there's a correlation bewteen that finger and the brain. A slightly textured surface might be better. Don't go to the machine until the motion feels smooth on your practice board.
    Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 AM
    Power Poster

I found this book: One Line at a Time: 24 Geometric Machine-Quilting Designs Made Easy by Charlotte Warr Andersen.

It is in Kindle format for under $10 at Amazon. You don't need a Kindle you can read it on your computer.

It has changed my machine quilting. I'ts perfect stitches everytime. I noticed she has a new book with more patterns out now.
    Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks Bellaboo, I've put it on my wishlist.

Annie
    Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the link. I need to practice too. This morning I was doodling feathers, hmmm, still need practice.
    Originally Posted by annemarcellis
    I have gained a lot of confidence stitching feathers and more from Patsy Thompson videos. Her website is http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/ She is very good-if I can do it, anyone can. You can see portions of her teaching on youtube.
    Have fun!
    Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 PM

Yes I believe you will get it one day it will just click well that's the way it was with me. I am still not real good at it but good enough to do my quilts. Every quilt is a learning experience.
    Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 PM

Not if you keep telling yourself that. Do I have to go over the little engine that could again?
    Old 02-13-2012, 04:48 AM

Just don't give up trying. One day, you will realize that it is coming together, you are getting the results you wanted, bit by bit.
    Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 AM

Don't give up, watch Patsy Thompson videos, Leah Day etc.... If your machine has a speed setting, set it low. Practice on small pieces first. Good Luck !