Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I just found out that the modern swoon block is an old block called rolling star or >
  • I just found out that the modern swoon block is an old block called rolling star or

• I just found out that the modern swoon block is an old block called rolling star or

Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM

"Swoon" is an old block. Personally, I find it disrespectful for 'designers' to take credit for something they didn't create. Taking out copyrights and expecting others to pay homage to them is unethical IMHO. They should be crediting the often anonymous creator instead and leave it at that. Just my 2 cents.
    Old 04-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by PeggyFinney
    I am currently working on a swoon quilt. I am using batiks, it will be assorted colours. I have done 6 blocks so far and I am clueless as to how I will quilt it. I did not use fat quarters as the pattern calls because there is just no room for error in cutting whether it be by me or the LQS. I purchased 1/2 meter (live inCanada) pieces. Here is one of my blocks.
    Pretty block no matter what name it's known by or which measurement system you use.
    Rodney
    Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks for sharing!
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Is anyone claiming title to swoon w/the block?
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM

See www.patchworktimes.com for another free pattern. Scroll down to find it.
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 AM

"Swoon" is indeed an old block, but the method of piecing it is different than the traditional block, with no "Y" seams. It does make it easier to piece. But it does seem that some of the "patterns" for sale are nothing more than a simple layout of a traditional block!
    Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Default I am tired of fighting fabric from China too!!!!

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    Yep everything old becomes new again. Like that block though. maybe one day i'll make up some.

I happened to go to Hobby lobby today and they had some decorative pieces in yellow, white and gray. All from China though so I passed on them.
    I just finished a quilt that had fabric from China in it and I am going to swear off of it. It was fraying so much that the loose thread was a pain to pull out having been caught in the seam allowance on the front of the quilt. Let me buy less of good fabrics.
    Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Colorful1
    "Swoon" is an old block. Personally, I find it disrespectful for 'designers' to take credit for something they didn't create. Taking out copyrights and expecting others to pay homage to them is unethical IMHO. They should be crediting the often anonymous creator instead and leave it at that. Just my 2 cents.
    In the case of the "swoon" quilt designer she mentions that it is an old block. I think called "dutch rose" and she made it bigger to use 2 fat quarters and a background. She eliminated the "y" seam so in my opinion she did it right. I agree with you that many patterns seem to be a rehash of old without crediting the old.
    Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I had to laugh as I found out going through old magazines that Old is New again and under another name. Surprised me for sure, makes one wonder how someone can well never mind that is another story !LOL

Thanks Dunster !
    Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Love your block