Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I just want to make ALL the quilts! >
  • I just want to make ALL the quilts!

• I just want to make ALL the quilts!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:30 AM

I used to work on one quilt at a time. Then I joined a guild and a small group within that guild (which has a challenge each month), then last year I became part of 2 other small groups with a challenge each month. Our Guild President and Quilt Show Chair have also presented challenges due in Aug. or Sept. I also make a fireworks themed quilt each year for a challenge due in Aug. Most of the quilts I make are optional, well really they all are. I find myself starting to plan the next one before I've even begun the decorative stitching or quilting of the first one. I have three quilts going right now. Thankfully two are almost finished, one needs a hanging sleeve & a label and the other needs a facing, hanging sleeve and a label. This quilting hobby of ours does seem to take over, but you do what you can. I'm a gardener also and I have two tours of my gardens this summer in July, so right now I'm trying to get quilts finished that I won't have time to do when I'll be outside weeding, deadheading, etc.
    Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM

I thought I only did one at a time, but when I checked in my sewing room, I have 4 WIP, and a gazillion ideas and plans for more. Guess I should slow down and finish something before starting something new
    Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
    Power Poster

I have been known to "switch" projects if one is not working out well, or if something comes up that needs to be moved to the head of the list. Often I just need to pick up something that is somewhat "mindless" or doesn't take a lot of thinking, especially after doing an involved project. After finishing a queen size log cabin quilt for our family reunion - had to send it to my DN so she can long-arm it, I'd been sewing on it for so long, I had to take a break to do something that didn't require a lot of thinking, like a table runner, or baby quilt, something easy.
    Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 AM

I have sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many ufo's! and four to six wip's and at least 15 on my bucket list! I'm trying to convince myself it's just another of my fav hobbies cause on my knitting list is 2 wip's and many on my bucket list and the rest go like that , crochete cross stitch fashion sewing. omg girl quilting is just the tip of the ice berg! lol!
    Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Saw a paper piecing pattern from Carol Doak in a magazine and just loved it. Have finished it and have started another of hers from one of her books. I am definitely hooked on these. Don't have the proper paper but using computer paper and it is working out fine.
    Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM

When I was teaching and working I started quilts as needed....they stacked up. I finished all that were in progress (except one) Now I finish one project before starting a new one. I don't wait to finish hand quilting them ....I constantly keep a quilt in the hoop... have a about 10 in the cedar chest to be quilted. This works best for me. It's the best kind of illness requires constant medication. You are in the same boat as most quilters.
    Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

I have been quilting for over fifteen years and haven't gotten over the honeymoon phase yet. I think I could piece and stitch quilts 18 hours a day. I do have to sleep and shower a little!

I could live forever and not be bored!
    peace
    Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM

I am so afraid that if I don't cut it out it will never get made, plus I struggle with most sewing jobs at night so this is the time I cut out. Also if the color thread in my machine is right for a few of the quilts I will stitch all the seams, then press them all, then move on to the next stage of the quilts. Some times this becomes frustrating or confusing but not often, and sometimes I just need to finish one of them sooner to use as a gift.
    Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Me. too! I have about 8 tops ready to go on the quilting machine and one quilt top that I am working on.

You are definitely not alone!
    Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM

I have your "illness". I am now doing 6 BOMs. Today, I finished FMQ one quilt; but have 3 lined up ready to be quilted. I am going to try to finish piecing a mystery quilt this weekend because I have fabric and patterns waiting. Each day, I usually work on 3 different quilting projects. In the mornings, I usually do FMQ or machine applique. In the afternoons, I do cutting and piecing. At night, I do hand sewing such as hand applique, embroidered blocks, or sewing on bindings. That works for me.