Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I made a good decision >
  • I made a good decision

• I made a good decision

Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM

I made the mistake of saying "I will NEVER quilt!"

My Mom made a small crazy quilt when I was in high school and I thought she was nuts to do all that hand sewing, I crocheted and sewed my own clothes, but hand sewing was not for me. My Mother-In-Law was a phenomenal hand quilter and I admired her work, but knew it wasn't for me. Then one day, about 15 years ago, I checked out a Celia Eddy book on machine quilting from the library and I've been learning, quilting, and enjoying the process ever since then. Still can't paint with thread and I don't know if I will ever attempt a landscape quilt, but that was what got me hooked on quilting.
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 PM

About 6 years ago, I found a bunch of very cheap quilting books with simple patterns. I decided I was going to make one for a Christmas gift for the in-laws. Looking back now, I know that I made so many mistakes, but it turned out ok. In-laws didn't seem to appreciate my fine work of art, but the hubby was duly impressed and my obsession was born. I've made many quilts, most of them gifts for family and dear friends. Now everyone seems to want quilted bags...LOL But I can make those in an afternoon and make enough $ to keep my fabric addiction well stocked! I don't think any other craft I have tried has been near the fun as quilting. And I can do it all myself, even fmq on my 6600.
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM
    Power Poster

I have always sewed on and off over the years starting in 6th grade. I learned on a treadle and my grandpa (yes grandpa) had a treadle I used to play on. I got my own sewing machine in 1965. I still have it. I used to watch Simply Quilts before work. Never even considered doing it. Then when I retired 10 years ago one of my sons said "now that you are retired you can make me a quilt". What? I don't quilt! He said "well, you are retired- you can learn". I thought why not and found a basic class and made him a king size quilt on a dinky mechanical quilt. First I made a flannel baby quilt for my granddaughter. The first two things I made were not easy! I am not a fast quilter or a volume producer and right now I am in a slump but I do consider myself a quilter.
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:52 PM

I've sewn off and on since I was about 12. I was mostly self taught, although my mother was an avid seamstress, but died very young. I guess it's in my genes. I'm old enough to have been able to take sewing, even tailoring, classes in high school - will never forget everything I learned there. I had not done any sewing for at least a decade when a friend wanted to make a baby quilt as a gift. Of course, she doesn't sew - so enlisted my help. This was last October and I have been hooked ever since. Having a great time with it, and starting to dip my toe back into garment sewing again.
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

I like that answer. My story is similar.
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 PM

I've been quilting & hand quilting 25-30 years. Lost track of time. My 1st couple thing's I did. Was makeing a couple shirt's. For some reason, just didnt click my trigger. Then I took my scraps, and made a lot of scrappy tops. We used them to cover out chair's, etc. Took a quilting class, and kind of went from there. Eventually learnt what backing's & batting was. From there I took off like a bat out of hell. And to this day I wonder what I would be doing on the side, or hobby.
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM
    Power Poster

I've been sewing off and on since I was about 6. My paternal grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was about 7-8. Made a large table cloth with thread yarn and some tatting also. Many hiatuses through the years. So many different patterns. If you can sew you can quilt.
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:33 PM

Like many others here, have sewn for many years. Have done hand work of some sort for longer than I've sewn. About 10-15 years ago a friend was hand quilting a quilt that she had made. I then started watching Alex Anderson on HGTV. Hmmmm. I can sew on my machine AND I can do hand work on the same piece! Well, gloriosky, that seems like the hot tip to me! And here I am.
    Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM

I probably did my first quilt about 34 years ago when I made a baby quilt for my cousin. After that, I tried to make a baby quilt whenever someone I knew was going to have a baby. One year, I made a quilt for an auction at the school where I was teaching using drawings the kids made showing topics we had studied over the year. It sold for $250! About 10 years ago, some friends of mine kept trying to get me to quilt & I finally caved in & gave it a go. I have gotten so much enjoyment & relaxation(sometimes!) from it and am so proud of what I have been able to do. I'm so happy I got back into it. I always feel so astonished at how nice something looks when I get it done and my dear friend chided me for that telling me that I am much better than I give myself credit for. Sewing is in my blood. Mom & Grandma were both sewers.
    Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM

I am 62 years old. My grandmother taught me how to sew on a treadel machine. The first thing I made was a pair of shorts out of a flour sack. I was 6 years old.