Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I made a good decision >
  • I made a good decision

• I made a good decision

Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM

I can't remember when I did'nt sew or embroider. But in 1976 when I bought my first Quilters Newsletter Magazine, that was it!! I have been quilting ever since then, Started out using templates, scissors, and doing everything by hand. Now I use my Bernina and all the modern cadgets there are. Get alot more done ,too. I still have all those old Quilters Newsletter Mags. too
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 PM

I started sewing on my mom's featherweight when I was nine. By the time I was sixteen, I had accumulated a lot of scraps so I decided to make a quilt to use them up. I then started making baby quilts and tying them for family and friends and then graduated to kid quilts. I've never managed to use up all my scraps and scrap quilts are still my favourite. I like simple yet striking patterns and lots of colour. Lately the modern style quilts have been grabbing my attention and I've been designing some "windowpane" quilt patterns of my own. There always seems to be something new in quilting and it is a hobby that I doubt I will ever tire of.
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM

I've sewed since home economics and then for the kids when they were young. I've crocheted for a long time but for about ten yrs now I have made different patterns from panels a lot and now really getting into quilting the harder things for the last 5 yrs or sew but have had to learn on my own mostly. I sure do love it. It makes you feel like you really accomplice something and learn a whole lot the hard way. Sue
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM

My start was inspired by my mom who graduated from nursing school at the age of 57. She had started at 19, but set her dream aside to raise a family. (She raised 4 daughter and had one miscarriage--which, as all moms who miscarry understand--was emotionally more painful than any of us knew when we were young.)

I was so proud of her for making us her priority when we were little,and then pursuing her dream when she was older an not needed hands-on as much . By this time I was a mother and also had a miscarriage. I designed a quilt with four baskets that are her four daughters, and in the border I sewed a heart to represent the little baby she lost. It was so meaningful to me to work on, to be as diligent (took me as long to make as for her to graduate!) and it meant so much. I decided it was a hobby I could take my time learning, enjoy the process, make others happy with the results, and have something lasting that I worked on! That doesnt happen with laundry, dishes, and cleaning--you keep having to redo it!
    Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 PM
    Banned

My grandmother died when I was three. My mom never did crafts, but boy can she bake. Anyway in high school I had to sew an apron. 1st time I ever used a sewing machine. I failed! I always loved quilts but never really thought about making one. Then when I was about 18 or 19 I was in a stationary store and while waiting in line I started looking at a quilt magazine and thought I can do this. I bought that magazine and got some fabric and made a completely ugly, horrible quilt. But I learned alot! I slowly started learning how to piece and quilt. I am self taught, mostly hand piece and hand quilt but am very contented. Also, I still have that magazine 30 years later!!!
    Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 AM

I stopped in a local pottery and art store. There was an art quilt show downstairs in their show room. I looked around and was fascinated--I thought, "I could do this"--and I just started. I am not much for patterns, etc, but I love to pick up materials and just start and see what unfolds. I also love sewing machines, seem to be my new addiction...
    Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 AM

I started sewing when I was 6 years old. Mom was an amazing seamstress-made all my clothes as a child. She would let me sew scraps on her sewing machine while sitting on her lap (she called them lap lessons), and by the time I was in the 10th grade I was making my own winter coats. Fast-forward some 20 years later, my granddaughter needed a bedspread. I whipped together some scraps I had to make her a simple 5" square block quilt. I've not made a stitch of clothing since then, with quilting being my new passion. Thank you, mom, for the lap lessons. I'll treasure them always.
    Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 AM

As a child, I sat next to my mom as she did sewing on her machine. I made my first dress when I was in 4-H, and my dress won a ribbon at the local fair that year. From that point on, I made all my clothes and did sewing for my family and home. Although there were no quilters then, I made a quilt on my own with just a pattern to guide me when I was almost 15. I still have it, mistakes and all . Then I made a pieced top in my 30s and gave it to my mom because she liked it. I retrieved it when she passed away almost 30 years later and it eventually became a queen coverlet just a few years ago; it is my favorite. I did make some sporadic projects such as quillows, etc. Then I took my first REAL quilting class at the age of 58 and my quilting really took off! It is such a joy. BTW, I no longer make clothes.
    Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 AM

My first introduction to sewing was when I was in elementary school in Louisville, KY, when we had home-ec. I think it was 6th grade, we first made an apron and then a 4 gore skirt. I remember mine was olive green which was an "in" color at the time. We didn't have a sewing machine at home so I didn't sew again until my early 20's when I was married and had 3 boys. I puttsed around with sewing off and on, did a lot of embroidery and counted cross stitch, made curtains, etc. until I retired almost 3 years ago when I finally had time to learn to quilt. I now wish I had more time to sew, my dogs, cats, horses, donkeys, husband and flower gardening take a lot of time so I still have to squeeze in sewing time.
    Old 09-13-2013, 04:28 AM

I can't recall what age I started sewing, but it was very young. My Mother made all the clothes for us girls (six in all) plsu herself. Before she married, she was a Home Ec teacher, so she always told us, "the inside of a garment has to look as nice as the outside" and I believed her. When I was in high school, I knew more about sewing than the Home Ec teacher, so she appointed me as her helper to teach the other girls. In summers when I visited my grandmother, I used her treadle machine to sew on. I always made all my kids clothing, even three-piece suits for my son. I even sewed for the public. Then in 1997 I purchased my Janome 9000 and started quilting. I was hooked and still at it. My DH says, "why don't you take a break from sewing?" He doesn't understand, for quilters, sewing IS a break!