Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I may be a little dense, but, just read a blog a have a question >
  • I may be a little dense, but, just read a blog a have a question

• I may be a little dense, but, just read a blog a have a question

Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 AM

what is meant as "tube" I have read a few patterns calling to make some blocks and then sewing them into a tube?? Can anyone help me to understand how tube quilting is done?
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    what is meant as "tube" I have read a few patterns calling to make some blocks and then sewing them into a tube?? Can anyone help me to understand how tube quilting is done?
    Depending on what pattern you are talking about. I have made bargello in the round quilts, where you sew strips of fabric together in different widths and then sew them together in a tube; you then follow the pattern directions and rip out certain rows and that will make the bargello form. I also use the tube method when I make bias binding. Hope that helps, it is really very easy. Jo
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:54 AM
    saf

Missouri star quilt company have an excellent tutorial on Youtube demonstrating using the tube method to make blocks. Basically it is a shortcut to sewing and cutting blocks such as hourglass.
    Old 07-23-2011, 09:51 AM
    Power Poster

An example of the results would be my avatar quilt. However, there are many other patterns using the tube technique. If you want a better look, you could check this thread. Page 2 for a closer look, and Page 5 (or is it Pg 7?) for the pattern details.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-112573-1.htm

So that you won't get confused .... you have the technique reversed. First you sew strips together, make a tube, then you make the blocks, that get joined together.

The Missouri link suggestd is a good one. PLus there are a gazillion more, if you check in with Mr. Google! :lol: