Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >
  • I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

• I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM

As I've gotten older (and wiser??), I've decided the following is going to be my motto...Treasure today. Life is too short to demand perfection.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 AM

I also had the guilts over not being perfect. Now I accept that I make snuggle under quilts that are just fine
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Wow, I'm so glad I started this topic - I've REALLY enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts, ideas and feelings about quilting. Like a lot of you, I love knowing that I'm part of a continuum of quilters going back to when some woman was working, without electricity, on her quilt using the kids leftover shirts and dresses. The joy of making and receiving a handmade quilt just continues!
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM

I am certain that mine will never be "perfect", but one things for sure, one can stress out trying to be so. I do wish to be able to do my best, but perfect is not in my vocabulary when it comes to this craft. And if you think back to the beginnings of quilting that was not the main focus. Beauty is always welcome, but art is not always beauty to anothers eyes, so let's face it, we all find solace in knowing we made it and it shines in our eyes and the person who it is given to. Just my thoughts :)
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM

No, perfection is not the goal, having fun and enjoying what you do, to be loved by your family and friends is the real goal. I will admit that I do rip some, but I will give it three tries and after that it stays, and if the quilt police come along, I hope a missed needle pokes them in the eye. None of my quilts are perfect and never will be.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Originally Posted by A
    I must say, the ONLY person who is PERFECT is Jesus Christ our Lord. In the OLD days, little inperfections were put into the quilt for that exact reason. I gave up being perfect long ago - my quilts are made with love. I've been quilting for 25 years & have yet to get anything but a huge smile when someone receives a quilt from me.
    I suspect that's one of those "old wive's tales" since thinking you had to intentionally put a mistake in or it would be perfect would be a sin of arrogance.
    It is not an "old wife's tale". It is also believed in other communities like Native Americans.
    How arrogant is it to think your work is so perfect you have to intentionally put in an error?
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Ditto. Well said.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:38 AM

OH My if I were to get rid of everything that wasn't perfect. I would be tossing everything. Most things are pretty darn good especially to someone who doesn't quilt but my FMQ is atrocious.I just finished a quilt for a friend , I am glad she will not judge the quilt.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Becky, I have been quilting for more years than I like to remember. My seams are not even 1/4 inch, because the foot under my machine is wider. My seams are more like 1/3 inch. My binding is put on completely different. I use 3 inch binding, I don't fold it in half and my corners are never mitered. I donate many of my quilts for worthy causes. Many make $1000 for the group. Do I like quilting...yes....are they perfect NO!!!!....are they warm and nice...yes. Don't worry about perfection, it's not to be had. Enjoy how you feel when you have completed a quilt and if it is given how much the person recieving it appreciates it. Keep quilting and be happy!!!!!
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM

I agree. My quilts all look nice but definitely are not perfect. Some points are cut off and some seams don't exactly match but ... SO WHAT ... I'm having fun.