• I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >
  • I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

• I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Originally Posted by Parrothead
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Originally Posted by A
    I must say, the ONLY person who is PERFECT is Jesus Christ our Lord. In the OLD days, little inperfections were put into the quilt for that exact reason. I gave up being perfect long ago - my quilts are made with love. I've been quilting for 25 years & have yet to get anything but a huge smile when someone receives a quilt from me.
    I suspect that's one of those "old wive's tales" since thinking you had to intentionally put a mistake in or it would be perfect would be a sin of arrogance.
    It is not an "old wife's tale". It is also believed in other communities like Native Americans.
    How arrogant is it to think your work is so perfect you have to intentionally put in an error?
    I don't believe we are talking about intentionally putting in an error. I believe we are saying it is okay to have an error. And I am not arrogant. Just a humble quilter and crafter that has reached the ripe old age of 70 and learned not to let the little things in life worry you.
    Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM

It's kind of like how the media puts images out there of bodies that are not real and completely unattainable. Airbrushing pictures to a phony level. The gadget sellers are trying to suck us in like the media does.
    I love to sew and I am so NOT a professional. And I actually like quilts with imperfections...that's how you know they are handmade.
    People arent perfect so why should quilts be? That's my motto.
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM

I always strive for perfection, but always come way short of it. I would never let one of the quilt police look at one of my quilts.
    I just like putting the colors together and creating my own designs
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
    I quilt for fun. I gave up perfection years ago. I like my quilts to look nice, and I do rip out my share of seams, but my quilts will never be in a show, will never be in a museum, but they will be in my house and the houses of family and friends, and I will be proud of them when I'm done. I keep telling myself that perfection is impossible so why should I drive myself crazy trying to achieve something I can never do.
    Amen to that! That's the spirit too.....!
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM

i believe there is nothing that is perfect!! so i have no problem if something is a bit off
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM

I quilt because it is fun. I try to do the very best I can. If I make a giant boo boo I rip it out and re-do; but if it is a minor thing then it becomes part of the quilt. Spent most of my life striving for perfection, all it gave me was migraine headaches and a whole lot of stress.
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Becky13
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quilting, but am frustrated at the sense that everything I do has to be perfect. Reading about the latest gadget that we can buy to make SURE that we get that 1/4" (minus two threads), just makes me sigh... And how we scurry to take out a seam when our blocks are off 3 threads. All the talk about being sure that everything is "exact". Are we quilting because it's fun? We're making a loving gift? Or is perfection the goal?

I quilt for PLEASURE not perfection...perfectionists have heart attacks and strokes...I have great low blood pressure and answer only to myself when quilting...The therapy I gain from hand quilting is unmatched by any therapy session...LOL Join the fun club and leave the perfection to those who wish to leave us early !!! :D :D :D
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM

I think those flaws and imperfections are what give a quilt it's character! No mass produced "quilt" will ever be able to replicate the warm and fuzzy feeling you get seeing and feeling a hand made quilt. Relax and enjoy the process, you now have a story to tell when you show off your work.
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
    jme

I quilt for fun. I try to do my best but I don't strive for perfection. To me the beauty is in the colors and fabrics chosen. In the big picture the mistakes usually melt away.
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM

I like to cut and sew seams as "perfect" as possible 'cause I don't like to struggle with putting the blocks together.
    Eleanor Burns has a construction method that takes a lot of the anxiety out of block construction.