Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need advice printing on fabric >
  • I need advice printing on fabric

• I need advice printing on fabric

Old 04-09-2016, 02:50 AM

Default I need advice printing on fabric

I am in the process of making Pam Bono's Home run quilt and I need a picture of my grandson on it. I have no experience printing on fabric, but I can read the instructions lol. What I need to know is will this be washable after his picture is on it? And will Staples print this if I prepare it with freezer paper?
    Thank you!
    Old 04-09-2016, 03:05 AM
    Power Poster

I would certainly look into other places that do professional printing on fabric, maybe the companies that print on t-shirts would be a start. If I did one, I have read too many comments here about the color of the photos washing away. Good Luck.
    Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 AM

There are print shops that do print on fabric. You'd have to call your local Staples to find out if they do that & what, if any, prep work they require of you.

If it's not a rush, I'd use Spoonflower (with Kona cotton fabric as the base). http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/new?create=fabric
    Old 04-09-2016, 08:54 AM

I second Spoonflower. The fabric and print is great to work with. The only drawback is waiting for shipment, it can take a few weeks sometimes.
    Old 04-09-2016, 09:19 AM
    Power Poster

Another vote for Spoonflower. The experience I had using a print shop the pictures were like rubber ( like the decals on tshirts) I've had decent { luck} printing my own using the June Taylor printer fabric sheets, I purchased ( expensive) permanent ink for my printer. I've also treated/ prepared my own fabric ( prewashed with detergent, no softener; soaked in soda ash, dried, pressed to freezer paper, printed & heat set) labor intensive and expensive the pictures have faded/ dulled over time. My fabrics from Spoonflower are wonderful! Vibrant, good quality fabrics, worth the wait.
    Old 04-09-2016, 10:03 AM

I've printed on fabric but it does fade some.

I used freezer paper. Iron the fabric on to the freezer paper a little larger than the size you need. Then trim it down to size. That gives you a nice crisp edge. On the other side, I also iron on a 1/4" strip of freezer paper on the top edge of the fabric that goes in the printer first. That keeps the fabric from jamming in the the printer.
    Old 04-09-2016, 01:13 PM

I have used 'Bubble Jet Set 2000' to successfully print pictures, designs and labels on my own printer. Saturate the background fabric in the solution for 5 min - then let fabric air dry. Next Iron the fabric to the smooth side of the freezer paper that is cut to size for your printer and position in your printer. Print photo on treated fabric and let sit for 30 min. Next hand wash in 'Bubble Jet Rinse' to seal colours and prevent bleeding.

The solutions are not expensive, you get lots in a big bottle, good results and very easy to use
    Old 04-09-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    Another vote for Spoonflower.
    Ditto!