Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need advice... >
  • I need advice...

• I need advice...

Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 PM

I have put those cardboard foldout dresmakers boards laid out on my bed, I used two together for the larger quilts, no getting down on the floor:)
    Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
    cjr

search tutorials here. There is a method of using 2 x 4 boards to pin large quilts in a small area on a table. Looks easy enough, but i have not personally tried it. Good Luck.
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM

I use two long tables down at the senior dining site where we have our little 'sewing group' We just push two tables together, one lady had big clips we use and always has them ready for use, and then several of us will help stretch it out on the table, and then we all will baste it or tie it. No one ever has to do it by themselves we all help out each other. And if its a day other then Tuesdays when we have group, the lady that runs the place will open it up any day of the week that we need to use it. Which is really cool. :)
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM

I purchased a ping pong table at a garage sale and that is what I use at home. I keep it in the garage and it folds up when not in use so it takes up very little room.
    When I have a really big one I use the tables at my guild.
    I really want to try the method where you wrap the fabric around strips of wood and baste a little at a time I just keep forgetting to go to Home Depot to get the wood.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 AM

I lay them onto a queen size bed, and pin them that way, I go down the middle, pin it, and then pin on each side of those pins...then sew down the middle, then do it again, go down each side again, sew those, and so on...I am not sure if it matters, whether you go from top to bottm, or side to side, but I go from side to side, and it works fine.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 AM

I sandwich mine on my twin size bed working from the side of the bed. I spread the backing out and it 'sticks' to the (fleece) blanket I have on the bed. I work from top down, doing about a third of the quilt at a time. I spray baste. Fold down what I've finished, smoothing the back as I fold, and them do the next section. Works pretty well.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 AM

I also have a physical disability that prevents me from getting down on the floor. I have used the top of my king size bed or the top of my chest freezer. This spring I am going to get the hardware to make a set of sawhorses that will be high enough that I can sit in a chair and then place a sheet of plywood on the sawhorses. I will have the edges sanded smooth or covered with tape to prevent snagging my quilt. Jeanniebelle
    Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

I layer a piece of cardboard on my kitchen table to protect it, then lay my backing on the table...clamp it down with those big cheap clips from the dollar store and go from there. I use 505 spray and a few pins in strategic places. I'm just not gonna get down in the floor anymore...too much trouble and hurts my back.
    Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 AM

I use my king size bed...I strip it down to sheets and it works pretty good.
    Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I have put those cardboard foldout dresmakers boards laid out on my bed, I used two together for the larger quilts, no getting down on the floor:)
    I do this too, one board just fits on a twin bed, two would cover a queen or king size bed. I don't have floor space big enough to lay out a quilt.

Carol J.