Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need help... can I lay my quilt out like this? >
  • I need help... can I lay my quilt out like this?

• I need help... can I lay my quilt out like this?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 AM

My first thought would be to make vertical "stripes". Start with a column of the small blocks in a 1-2-3-4-5 repeat pattern and then add a column of the lighter neutral fabric. For the next small block column, use 2-3-4-5-1, then the neutral, then the blocks in 3-4-5-1-2, then the neutral, etc. If you start and end with the blocks, you can then decide if you want a narrow border of the neutral all the way around. The neutral column can be as narrow or as wide as you feel it needs to be to calm down the visual impact of the blocks. Just an option anyway.
    Old 07-05-2010, 03:19 AM

Your blocks are so stricking by themselves they would make a very unique quilt. I like the single block with your sashing around it. Sounds like you have enough to to do the same on the back and make it reversible. I will like it anyway you decide. I do like the blocks./Regards, Dorothy
    Old 07-05-2010, 03:20 AM

another idea is to make all of the 6 1/2" blocks into the
    4 block units and sash them all with the light fabric
    Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 AM

An idea that just popped into my head is to add two narrow strips on adjacent sides of the smaller blocks (sort of log cabin-ish or attic window) to get those blocks the same size as your larger blocks.

I'm visualizing a light-medium color. You would need to play around with placement to see if you would want it on the inside corners or the outside corners of your finished large block. My initial thought was inside, but you would have to try it both ways to be sure which looked more pleasing.

Just set the blocks on prospective fabric the way you have them on the cutting board to audition.

This would also allow you to use different fabrics in different block sets as you mentioned wanting to do.
    Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 AM

How about a Boston Commons type layout? You could join several of you blocks in say a 3 x 5 or 4 x 6 group and add a 3.5 inch (unfinished) light strip. Then add 1-3 rows of your blocks followed by another light sashing strip, etc. That would break up the busy blocks without adding too much sashing.
    Old 07-05-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    An idea that just popped into my head is to add two narrow strips on adjacent sides of the smaller blocks (sort of log cabin-ish or attic window) to get those blocks the same size as your larger blocks.

I'm visualizing a light-medium color. You would need to play around with placement to see if you would want it on the inside corners or the outside corners of your finished large block. My initial thought was inside, but you would have to try it both ways to be sure which looked more pleasing.

Just set the blocks on prospective fabric the way you have them on the cutting board to audition.

This would also allow you to use different fabrics in different block sets as you mentioned wanting to do.
    I'm thinking this is what I would do. If you cut 1 1/2" strips to make the next round on the 6 1/2 block, then come back with a 2 1/2 in strip, should make that block the same size as four blocks sewn together.
    Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 AM

Hi, you could simply add a second border around the two single blocks to fit the size of the 4 blocks. Love the colors, it will look great.