Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need information about quilt batting >
  • I need information about quilt batting

• I need information about quilt batting

Old 07-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Quilter's Dream is absolutely wonderful. I used to be a W&N girl until I tried Quilter's Dream. Haven't looked back since.

So sorry you only have Joann's in your area! Not even a tiny, hidden, gem of a quilt shop, hidden somewhere in your region?

Peggi, I will Google Quilters Dream and see if I can buy it online. Thanks for the tip, and I am sure others will appreciate it too.
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Susann
    Just wanted to say , RosaSharon! I'm reading along to learn more about batting with you-oh, and to see if any weight loss tips show up, too
    Susann, There are some great helpful ideas here. Glad you found my question.
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2
    here's a nice summary of the different types:
    http://www.createforless.com/buying-...right-one.aspx
    Choosing your batting depends on how heavy you want it to be, how much loft you want, how closely you want to quilt, whether you want it to be washable, etc. Also keep in mind that if you use white fabric you want to use white batting so it doesn't show through and dull the look of the fabric. The web sites for the various batting manufacturers also describe their uses, etc. My quilting instructor mostly recommends Hobbs 80/20 (80%cotton,20%polyester) as a good basic batting.
    I will check out the web-site. Thanks so much for this information.
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:04 PM
    Power Poster

I usually use Hobbs wool and 80/20. I buy it when Connecting Threads has a sale. I recently tried the Fairfield 80/20 batting sold at Walmart. It's a nice lightweight batting. I'll buy it again.
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123
    I like the Warm and Natural batting at Joann. It is 100% cotton & makes a nice cozy, warm quilt. I've used the poly & poly-cotton blend batting there for non-quilt quilted projects (fabric book, home decor, bibs) but the cotton is much nicer to work with and seems a bit sturdier. It says no need to pre-wash, but I do soak it in the machine (stop the machine before it starts agitation) or the bathtub and hang dry before I start quilting with it. The other nice thing about the Warm & Natural is that you can quilt up to 10" apart so that gives you a lot of options. Since I make baby quilts, I use the warm & natural even with white fabric since a lot of parents don't want the added chemicals in their baby's quilt. Honestly, I've auditioned both & the difference really isn't noticeable if you have a decent weight of white fabric. If it's not for a show, go with whichever one you like.

PS -- Tags help with searching on the website. If you start typing a tag like "machine quilting" or "batting" or such, if that tag exists, it will show up in a drop-down menu. If no drop-down menu appears, that means you can't use that tag. They're totally optional, so don't feel badly if you can't figure them out.
    Bree, this is very good information. Thanks for taking time to explain. Also about the tags ---I probably won't be using them, but who knows? Once I wasn't interested in quilting either, and now, age 70, I am obsessed!
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM

I try to get my battings from connectingthreads.com, if I have time to wait for them to ship. They often will have a 30% off sale on all of their Hobbs battings....a great time to stock up! I love Hobbs battings....all of them....lol
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 PM

Onebyone, I actually never thought of Walmart, and it is close by. Thanks. Good information.
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2
    here's a nice summary of the different types:
    http://www.createforless.com/buying-...right-one.aspx
    Choosing your batting depends on how heavy you want it to be, how much loft you want, how closely you want to quilt, whether you want it to be washable, etc. Also keep in mind that if you use white fabric you want to use white batting so it doesn't show through and dull the look of the fabric. The web sites for the various batting manufacturers also describe their uses, etc. My quilting instructor mostly recommends Hobbs 80/20 (80%cotton,20%polyester) as a good basic batting.
    IQ2 -- I have wanted to send a reply to everyone who helped me here, but my replies seem to go all over the place -- I will absolutely check out the URL you sent. Thanks for the great information.
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Hi Rosasharon, Welcome to the QB. You will get lots of varying opinions on batting, like fabric and thread it all boils down to what function you want and personal preference.

You probably should try expanding your purchase point to something other than JoAnn as they are really only a fair price point if you have a coupon or they are having a 50% off sale on it and their selection is limited. I have seen the same W&N (warm and natural cotton) priced regular for almost half of what JAF charges at quiltshops because JAF adjusts the price for coupons.

Here is a good link to a blogger that did a great comparison chart for batting

http://thecuriousquilter.wordpress.c...lection-chart/

You can also use the advanced search function here on the QB and search topic titles only for batting you will find loads of topics about this very subject.
    Feline fan, I love them too! Cats and quilts seem to go together

Thanks, and you are the second person to suggest I go somewhere else besides Joann's. The other lady told me their fabric is scratchy. I did notice that some of it is, and as for their coupons -- they say 50% off regular price, but I get there, and every thing is discounted already 30%, so my coupon doesn't qualify. They are very tricky that way.

Thanks for your information!
    Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM

I wanted to thank each one of you who gave me such great information, but I am still learning the reply system. I hope I didn't miss anyone, and if I did, I appreciate each one who took their valuable time from quilting to answer my call. RosaSharon