Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need information about quilt batting >
  • I need information about quilt batting

• I need information about quilt batting

Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

W&N will give your quilt a flatter antique look and is a bit heavier as far as weight is concern but it is available at JAF. I have always preferred Hobbs 80/20 because it is lighter and also has a bit of fluff to it showing your machine quilting skills.
    Old 07-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Amazon has good prices on Quilters Dream and you can get free shipping if you spend 35$. I use Quilters Dream almost exclusively. Usually the cotton but I used their polyester once for a particular quilt and it worked well too.
    Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    W&N will give your quilt a flatter antique look and is a bit heavier as far as weight is concern but it is available at JAF. I have always preferred Hobbs 80/20 because it is lighter and also has a bit of fluff to it showing your machine quilting skills.

Maniac, I am leaning towards a batting with a little polyester. I am from the polyester generation where clothes wore like iron, you couldn't wear them out. They didn't shrink. Never needed ironing. Most women didn't even own an ironing board any longer. Your suggestion of 80/20 sounds good. Thanks
    Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
    Amazon has good prices on Quilters Dream and you can get free shipping if you spend 35$. I use Quilters Dream almost exclusively. Usually the cotton but I used their polyester once for a particular quilt and it worked well too.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a]Suern -- I was looking at that on Amazon. I (finally) bought the Prime for free shipping, as I am shopping more online now. Plus, I am a reader. Thanks for letting me/us know that you liked the polyester, as that is where I am leaning unless I read something negative about it.
    Old 07-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Rosa,
    Sounds like you maybe found a good option with amazon. I was gonna suggest the Quilters Dream Washable Wool, but you definitely won't be finding that at Joann.
    Wanted to add that in addition to the coupons you can find on the Joann website, you can also print or download to a smartphone Joann coupons from http://www.retailmenot.com. Make sure to select the "in store" tab if you're using your smartphone. I never shop Joann without at least a 40% off coupon. Last week I had some 50% off coupons from the JAF website. So nice. My LQS's prices are WAY higher than Joann's, plus all the fabrics are Civil War reproductions with a dozen or so 30's reproductions thrown in there, so don't feel too badly that you don't have that option. There's no guarantee it would save you any money.
    Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Bree, yes, I have a smart phone, and I will definitely find the coupons for it. Thanks!
    Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 PM

I love the feel and look of polyester but I regret doing more than one quilt using that batting - I live in Houston and usually we only get a few cold cold days (like in the 30s and below) with the exception of this past winter. they are way too hot for down here. :-( I have to leave the heat off and let the townhome get 50 or below to really enjoy sleeping under them!

my faves so far are Warm and Natural or Warm and White...Cream Rose and White Rose(not sure who makes these but got at Hobby Lobby and Joanns), a friend who longams usually puts hobbs 80/20 if I don't supply my own batting. there's another brand we scored discounted last day of festival year before last that I'm getting around to trying soon as well as a few others I picked up to try. I really wish I'd kept a record of what I've used in what. warm and white/natural have a more generous quilting allowance according to the instructions
    Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by quilt938
    I love the feel and look of polyester but I regret doing more than one quilt using that batting - I live in Houston and usually we only get a few cold cold days (like in the 30s and below) with the exception of this past winter. they are way too hot for down here. :-( I have to leave the heat off and let the townhome get 50 or below to really enjoy sleeping under them!

my faves so far are Warm and Natural or Warm and White...Cream Rose and White Rose(not sure who makes these but got at Hobby Lobby and Joanns), a friend who longams usually puts hobbs 80/20 if I don't supply my own batting. there's another brand we scored discounted last day of festival year before last that I'm getting around to trying soon as well as a few others I picked up to try. I really wish I'd kept a record of what I've used in what. warm and white/natural have a more generous quilting allowance according to the instructions

These are good things to think about. I didn't realize polyester was so warm. Thanks.
    Old 07-23-2014, 03:46 AM

I, too, use the W&N from JoAnns. I like 100% natural fibers - cotton; wool; silk; whatever - in my quilts. You will get more loft with a poly or poly-blend batt. Depends on your personal preferences. Quilter's Dream 100% cotton is a very nice batting as well. Does have a very nice 'drape' to it - more so than W&N. When I exhaust the roll of W&N I'll be trying the QD myself. My friend uses it all the time and it does make for an, initially, softer quilt. The W&N is stiff to work with but does soften up over time and repeated washings. Also holds up very well.
    Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 AM

I think it's warm. I did dome quilts with fleece backing and no batting and my father preferred those when how was going through chemo. Poly quilts seem soft and fluffy and aren't heavy I love how they feel but I get too hot except when the temps are colder and I don't use the heat so much. Houston is usually humid and the cotton quilts seem to breathe better for me. Just not as cuddly. I keep meaning to try the dream stuff mentioned