Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need motivation... please help... >
  • I need motivation... please help...

• I need motivation... please help...

Old 01-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations
    Maybe to get started again you need to just do small steps like cut out pieces of just one fabric for a project at a time until you feel the juices flowing again and will jump back in. Or for me if I ever like I am getting lost I look at fabrics in a store or online and almost instantly I find myself back at it full force. Then I find myself having to stop to eat and drink to keep going. I did have a dry spell a few years back but at this time I was working a full day job for eight hours and then work at night in a bar six nights a week for 8 hours and on my day off I just didn't feel like doing anything. But my addiction of quilting soon came back after about six months of this and after one trip to a quilt shop during a huge sale I dived right back in and have not look back. I certainly hope you find your groove back into quilting!!
    This is what works for me. Right now my room is anything but clean after the whirlwind of holiday projects going on since October. I grabbed the two roll-about hampers from the guest bedrooms and have put all - ALL - my scraps in them - except for batik and Christmas, which have their own cubby hole homes. With the clutter in half, I can start SEEING what I can do ... and now it's off to the web for patterns and ideas!
    Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Try a new block! Craftsy is giving a free BOM class, I did the first block and it was fun, easy and inspirational! Good luck be patient with yourself, a move is a big deal
    Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 PM
    Power Poster

Is it possible that your new space lacks something? My sewing room turned into a total mess and 7 cats couldn't find one mouse. So I spent some time in the space to figure out what was bugging me. DH helped me empty the room and rearrange all the furniture into a nice setup. He was doubtful that it would make a difference but even he is surprised at how "happy" the room is now. Maybe you need to really "CLAIM" the space and make it your creative haven. Then start slow and have fun.
    Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Make a list of what you want to accomplish and post it so you look at it daily. Also helpful to put a date of completion so you are reminded what you wanted to accomplish by when. Them take baby steps towards it. Good luck!
    Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM

I know it is easier said then done but I think you have gotten some good advice. The 15 min. a day sounds like a great start. I would also be very interested in seeing the baby quilt, the door hangings and the quilt you are doing you your son. I have two sons and I would like to make them a quilt and looking at patterns to do.

Will be watching for pictures.

Hang in there!!!
    Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Motivation, ah, it can be hard to get moving and sew. As a realtor, I know moving into a new house can be emotionally draining. Take a breath, you have worked hard to move into a new place, both physically and emotionally. Then My advise is to take out everything for that baby quilt, and put it where you can see it. What got me motivated was making a design wall and putting up the blocks as I sewed. It is only a piece of foam insulation board from Lowe's, covered with wool batting held on with duck tape. It is out in the open in my sewing/office room, and even just 3 or 4 blocks show me what I have accomplished.
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 PM

I just moved into a house too. What got me motivated was first I made a table topper for the house. Now I can't stop I'm barely done with one thing while planning 3. I do have my days where I sit on the couch watching tv looking at quilting mags n books too. Tomorrow I'm sandwiching quilts. I try to vary it so it doesn't become mondan. Hope to get you back in the groove!!!
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:35 PM

You've got a lot going on, first the holidays, second the new house. Worrying about a quilt you are behind on is probably a third stressor. It's natural to avoid stressful things!
    I think the advice to start small is good. try picking one thing, dividing it up into bite-size (doable chunks) and then doing the first chunk, may break the logjam there and get you back in the swing.
    Good luck! And congratulations on your new home!
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
    Banned

When my slump lasts more than a month I make it a point to go to both Guild meetings, join the weekly sew-in at my favorite quilt shop etc.
    Anything that gets me with a bunch of other quilters inspires me and gets me going again.
    Good luck.
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM

If you start on the smallest things first you'll see results faster and be more motivated to get another one done and then keep on going from there. That's what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks. The more you see done the more you want to see done.