Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need a portable machine >
  • I need a portable machine

• I need a portable machine

Old 06-25-2024, 02:40 AM

Default I need a portable machine

The Bernina post mentions many machines, but I've decided that I need a lightweight machine to carry to classes. Classes are new to me, now that I joined a guild. I've been looking at low cost, low weight machines. I do need that extra platform that attaches to sewing surface. I'd like to spend under $300. (Ha-I'd like it to be free!) I have several Berninas that I love, but not sure they have an economical line. Please share y'all's knowledge about your portable machine.
    Old 06-25-2024, 03:40 AM
    Power Poster

If you could get your hands on an older Pfaff 1471, 1473, or 1475 -I think you might be pleased.

They are comparatively lightweight, the cover just lifts off, and it has a carrying handle. And it is comparatively very quiet.

But I am not up-dp-date on current models of machines, so not much help on what is available new.
    Old 06-25-2024, 03:59 AM
    Power Poster

I have been happy with my basic Brother machines. They are relatively inexpensive and a lot of them come with the extension table. I've never had a problem with mine. I have several because one was given, I bought one with a buttonhole feature and then someone's estate gave me another. They all work great. Unless you want t vintage.
    Old 06-25-2024, 04:07 AM

I have a Brother XR9550 for classes, Walmart and Amazon sell it. I paid $230., it has the platform that you want. It weighs 10 pounds. It works great, I enjoy taking it to classes and sew days with my friends.
    Old 06-25-2024, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder
    I have a Brother XR9550 for classes, Walmart and Amazon sell it. I paid $230., it has the platform that you want. It weighs 10 pounds. It works great, I enjoy taking it to classes and sew days with my friends.
    I gave my old Viking 100 to my niece so then I needed a backup machine. I got a Brother at Walmart also and really like it. It is light, smooth, and easy to use. It’s a little slower than my Elna but fine for piecing and quilting smaller items.
    Old 06-25-2024, 04:17 AM
    Power Poster

An off the shelf Brother would by my choice for any new machine under $300.
    Old 06-25-2024, 04:42 AM

I picked up a Brother machine with a insertable table, has a number of decorative stitches, cuts the threads and a sort of needle threader, got it online at Costco for under $300 but that was maybe 7 years ago so I'm sure they're much more expensive now. It's lightweight as I keep it on the floor next to my cutting table for when I need to sew on binding, long sashings and borders. You can use a NEB bobbin in it also which surprised me. I don't use it often but it's given my no issues so far. I'm a Viking person mostly.
    Old 06-25-2024, 04:48 AM

I've been pretty happy with my Eversewn Sparrow 15. Weighs under 15 pounds, is a mechanical machine (no computer), but has an assortment of stitches including zigzag. Has a threading assist. Costs under $200 but you will most likely want to buy a 1/4" quilters foot (think that was $12).
    https://www.eversewn.com/sparrow-15

Downside -- is a bit slow for when I want to speed sew, for most of what I do it is fine. It is a bit louder than the other machines used by my sewing group. Mine developed a "chirp" that required me to take off part of the casing and oil where they don't want you to oil, but only required one screw removed to do that.
    Old 06-25-2024, 05:00 AM

My first Bernina, which is still my main machine, is a 153QE. As it is heavy, I have gone through a few lighter machines in search of the perfect one for sewing days/classes/retreats.

First, I tried Janome Jems. Gold, then Plantinum. Hated them, it was like sewing with a toy. They are very lightweight, though.

Next, I got a Featherweight. Yes, very light, but we never bonded. It was definitely better than the Janomes, but still not what I was looking for.

Reality is, I'd gotten used to my Bernina, and had several Bernina feet. I started looking at used machines in the 3/4 size. I got a 240 over 10 years ago; I found it in a local sales/buying group. It's been a good, smaller (and thus lighter) machine that still uses all of the feet I've accumulated.

We have a winter home, and last winter, I left my 240 there. Then, I found a 350 (another 3/4 sized machine) in the local FB marketplace. It was a great price an included the wheeled carrying case. I like it better than the 240.

Just a matter of being patient to find a good deal. The 350, with the Bernina wheeled case, was $600 - so a good bargain. I did end up buying the tap foot pedal, as I found I really missed that.

The 3/4 size machines have all of the features I want and need, and use the Bernina feet I have. For general sewing or piecing, the work great for me.
    Old 06-25-2024, 05:36 AM

For a “sit n sew” where I determine my project the 12 pound Brother works.

For class, portable isn’t the most important, the project determines which machine works:
    1. Thick layers-Brother1500sl or Bernina
    2. Zipper; 12 lb brother or Bernina
    3. Quilting; Brother 1500 so, Allegra, Bernina 770

For 4-day retreat; pick project, limiting the number machines to 2. This may limit the choice of projects. Definitely pick the machine I want to spend 4 total days with. This choice is also determined by transport space.

SO. One machine doesn’t fit all my needs.

under $300—————definitly limits choices. Try estate sales-you may get lucky.