Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash... >
  • I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash...

• I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash...

Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 PM

I would not pay more than $1.00 a yard. They will never get more than that.
    Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 PM

Jan,
    I am from your neck of the woods, and I buy a lot of fabric at garage and estate sales. I don't pay more than $1/yard unless it is something I really like and have an immediate use for -- then I will pay $2/yard. Last year I was given a huge load of fabric from a friend who was moving. It was wonderful quality, but it took a long time to sort through it and find homes for what I didn't want or couldn't store. It was a major job and slowed me down on my projects.

Your situation is a delicate one, since it involves a friend, the friend's family, and money. Best wishes on this challenge!

Dayle
    Old 11-10-2013, 06:45 PM

I wouldn't pay them much for it. If you aren't going to go thru it and pick what pieces you want, you'll get a lot of stuff that you aren't going to use and then have to figure out what to do with. My thoughts are that they would be lucky to get $5.00 per plastic box for it by selling it at an estate sale. Same thing applies. People aren't going to pay a lot to buy a whole box that might only have one fabric that they want. Good luck!
    Old 11-10-2013, 08:25 PM

I would offer $1-$2 per yard for older fabric as that is what I paid for most of mine until the past few years.
    Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    I wouldn't pay too much. Yardsale and estate stuff goes very cheap around here. Usually for $1-5 a plastic grocery bag, and you can stuff a lot of fabric in one of those if you try. Sellers who try to get more money are usually left with it.
    I agree. My experience is $1-$1.25 yard at a yard sale/thrift store. Don't pay too much!

Give them a round number--not too high, and if you get it all it would take it all off their hands, you can pick through it, and then do whatever you want with the rest. If you give them a low enough offer (they don't have to take it), then you won't get cheated. The last thing you want to do is get stuck with someone else's trash.
    Old 11-10-2013, 11:47 PM
    Banned

I would go home and put a drawer full and count and measure how much is in the drawer and then decide. 10 yrs ago you could buy good fabric at Joann's for 2.00 per yd. I would want to know the amount and quality you are buying before making an offer. Remember someone else's quilting treasure may end up being your trash.

Last edited by Holice; 11-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 AM

Yep, I was going to say, I bought about a grocery bag size of fabric ... mostly pieces ... but some are good sized, but less than 1 yard ... at a yard sale this summer for $2. She had A LOT of fabric, and I got to choose what I wanted.
    Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 AM

Not an answer to the question..just a comment. The very idea of this just makes my fingers tingle.... I would love to ramble through that stash..
    Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 AM

I would take a good look at it before I made an offer. First of all, is it all cotton, polyester, or blends? Also, fabric gets old, and will deteriorate eventually, and the sellers may not know all this. Consider all the input everybody here is offering, then just make an offer. If they refuse the offer, just wait awhile, and they will probably reconsider because it is not going to be easy for them sell, especially with high expectations.
    Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 AM
    Swap Hosts

I know it is hard to pass up what you think is the opportunity of the century, but it can be done. You might gently tell them that what they are asking is out of your price range and that if they have leftovers that they want to get rid of at a lower price after their sale to please contact you. I'll bet that at $25 for 2-3 yards they aren't going to sell very much.