Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash... >
  • I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash...

• I need some advice please on making an offer on an estate Stash...

Old 11-11-2013, 07:56 PM

I just went to an estate sale and they were selling as much fabric as you could fit into one of the plastic grocery bags for $2.00 - this included some very nice wools - all I can say is it's amazing how much those bags hold!
    Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Do not over pay. Some bad fabric is also there.
    Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM

I just bought the remaining fabrics and notions from a quilt teacher that had passed--after their original sale of her things. I bought about $80.00 worth of rulers-templates & fabrics the first day of their sale.
    Called them up the next day and asked what she wanted for the rest of what was left--scraps and all. We settled on $100.00. It totally filled our SUV with no extra room at all. There was yardage, FQ,s, rulers, templates etc. even quilt kits ready to put together. I was sure happy with the price and what I paid for it. A lot of brand name fabrics and a lot of Judy Neidermeyer fabrics were in it.
    Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 PM

You sure got the Board going on this topic! About a year ago, my church's women's auxillary decided to clean out the supply closet and since the quilting group at church no longer meets, they decided to give me the fabric. Part of it was a cotton/poly blend, and all of it was cut into 4" squares. To make it more difficult, the colors were not what I would choose . Just saying!
    Old 11-12-2013, 03:06 AM

I bought a whole car load of stuff from a lady that couldn't sell it on craigslist or garage sale. Got tons of stuff, good fabrics, some silk and silk yarns, etc. 40.00. Sounds like you will have to pay more, but I won't pay over 2.00 a yard for really good brands of fabric at estate sales.
    Old 11-12-2013, 04:49 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with what has been said. $25 is way too much.
    Old 11-12-2013, 04:56 AM

This may be risky by saying but here goes. The price should be negotiable and it would depend on how much the seller wants the fabric to "go away". You would be taking a chance on usability, don't pay too much. The local thrift stores practically give old fabric away.
    Old 11-12-2013, 05:39 AM

We have a thrift store close to where I live. I pray everyday they never figure out the value of fabric. I have gotten some beautiful yardage for a ridiculously low prices. Some of like new. I guess it just depends on how the person selling it values fabric. I may not be a wanted item so why not make an offer and see where that takes you. My guess is that the person who it belonged to would be happy someone was using it.
    Old 11-12-2013, 06:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by gretchen
    i just went to an estate sale and they were selling as much fabric as you could fit into one of the plastic grocery bags for $2.00 - this included some very nice wools - all i can say is it's amazing how much those bags hold!
    rofl!!! :d
    Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 AM

I ran into a stash like that just as I was starting quilting. It was an estate sale, and no one in the family wanted anything to do with the stash. Still, they were asking $350 for "the lot", and it was a lot, but too expensive and even though I tried to negotiate, they wouldn't budge. So I waited and went back during the last two hours the estate sale was open, and sure enough, the stash was still there. The daughter admitted that it might be overpriced, so I asked her what she thought was fair. She said $150 if I'd take "everything". I told her that to take everything -- because it would all need to be sorted, washed, etc. again, and it would be a big job -- I'd be willing to give her $100. She jumped at it. I ended up with not only box after box stuffed with fabric, but also other accessories like shears, rulers, even brand new rotary blades. At that point in the estate sale, they just wanted to be rid of it, so timing may play a factor in your negotiation. Go ahead and ask the question: "How much are you looking to get for this?" and "This is what I'm willing to pay based on -- and then fill in the facts. They didn't appreciate, I think, what a job it would be for me to clean it up and organize it until they started boxing and bagging the lot. I definitely came out on the winning side as I am still using this stash!