Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • i need some enthusiasm!! >
  • i need some enthusiasm!!

• i need some enthusiasm!!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Transitions take time. Allow yourself to adjust to the empty nest. I mourned for a while, but then DH and I came to enjoy it. I did have to get a lively cat to add a bit of spice to our house...one that wants to play and craves attention.

Something that helps me when I'm not motivated is a deadline. Sign up for a swap on this board. Or make a small wall hanging or something to donate for a fundraiser. Make a baby quilt for someone due soon...whatever it takes to give you a deadline to work toward.
    Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Sounds to me like you need to do something completely different for an hour or two...read a book (not quilt related), watch a movie, take a walk (early morning or late evening when it's not too hot)...then when you come back if you feel like starting something, go ahead, if not, go wash dishes...:LOL!
    Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Such a nice neat room to sew in...I usually take a tablet and make a list of what I need to do or even what I want to do then cross them off one at a time. Makes me feel so much better with crossed out items at end of the day. Works for me.
    Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM

I am headed to your situation soon, so I am reading the posts with interest. I don't have the pre-stressers you mentioned, but after my knee replacement I have several months of therapy and no sewing machine time to deal with. I do have some hand applique waiting for that time and some good books to read....then I will be fidgeting until I can get back on both feet.
    Old 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Enjoy your peace and quiet-inspiration will come when you least expect.I think we all need some down time on our hobby to recharge.
    Old 07-24-2012, 04:08 AM

It is so easy to get stressed out when you think of all the things you have to do; so don't think about them. Pick out one thing; if it's a matter of making up your mind; just grab something or have hubby help you pick. Then do that and you'll be started. Once you get started it's easier to keep going. I think most of us need jump started once in a while. I know that I do. It's like house work, when I look around and see all that needs to be done I just want to sit down and do nothing because it seems to over whelming but that gets me no where. Just start somewhere; baby steps. For the first time in over 40yrs I live in a house by house (since Sept) and now I really like it. In the beginning I was having grandkids to stay over alot; now I send them home so that I have at least one night to my self on my days off from work. Enjoy the freedom
    Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 AM

When I get into a mental "space" like you are right now, I try to do a little quilting every day. Recently have been making those little mug coasters (the four strips folded) kind. Yesterday I made three of them. I have a pretty good stack of them now, and will start making quilted table toppers. Have some double 9 patchs made up, just didn't want to start on anything big... The little mug coasters are bright and pretty and I just put them on an end table and when people come or go out the door, I say "help yourself if you want some"...
    Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 AM

I agree with the glass of wine. Just relax for a week and then start very small so not to get overwhelmed. put each project in a tote and do the easy ones first. Baby steps on your new life. congrads to you. enjoy
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:30 AM

It may feel to you that your "normal" life came to an abrupt halt and there's just a striking void in their absence with all the activity that was once there. A friend once said after her youngest left the home "i feel like i was forced into early retirement". This was said almost more like a question than a statement. I felt the same way but within 24 hours i had already started to notice there were some pluses involved also! I appreciated the slower pace w/ less stress and rush in my life. it sounds as tho your creative juices are flowing and there's no shortage of ideas/plans... so i think this lull is due to a sense of loss bc we are so used to being relied upon and needed for so much. it might be good for you to sign up for a class ...it'll get you out of the house ..offer a bit of social stimulation and has built-in deadlines. deadlines are good to get yourself moving! you can even resort to a self-imposed deadline such as to complete a quilty gift for someone by a certain date. BUT... waiting til you feel motivated is just as legit. it will come again...when you're ready for it.
    Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Life changes are huge. Allow time for yourself to just "be". I just retired the end of March and although I love it, it has been a bigger adjustment than I had anticipated. Take long walks. Go into your sewing room with no pressure. Put on some favorite music, maybe a glass of wine or mug of tea. Look through some quilting books and patterns. Maybe play with putting a few fabrics together. You have so many things still going around in your head, that it's too much to expect room for the creativity to flow. Bet you'll be ready to so some quilting by the time fall rolls around. Enjoy your new found and deserved freedom.