Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need some small scissors... any suggestions? >
  • I need some small scissors... any suggestions?

• I need some small scissors... any suggestions?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM

I have a few pairs of scissors. For reasonably priced scissors I really, really, like the Elan brand. For more expesive scissors I really like Dovo and Bohin.
    Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 PM

I'll put in another vote for the 4" Gingher. The ones I got also have the larger finger holes. They are great and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
    Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 PM

If you know anyone that is a nurse,they have some great small scissors I use to cut thread with and embroidery with. They have to throw the scissors away once they open the kits,and use in an emergency situation. You can also get them from someone that works in a trama unit,all of their scissors has to be thrown away. You can also purchase them at a hospital pharmacy.
    Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 PM

I swear by the KAI embroidery scissors. They are so sharp and I think the best pair of scissors I own. I take good care of them too.
    Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 PM

I really like the Gingher ones too. I've never had the hospital ones, although I have heard they are good as well.
    Old 09-15-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
    I have a tiny pair of KAI scissors I got at a craft show. They have the tiniest points. I love them.

I have these too! They are fabulous for cutting threads off of quilts and great for machine and hand embroidery threads & applique as the points are truly tiny and fine. I have gingher, weiss and several other top brands but the KAI are my all time favorites.
    Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM

Well.... now that I am totally confused! 8-) hehe
    Thank you all for your help on what scissors to get. I actually think a lot will depend on what is available around here. (I live out in the boonies) But I had no idea what to look for in the first place. I have brand names written down and this is a good reason to go shopping... yeah, like I need one. :shock:
    Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 AM

I have the Gingher embroidery scissors also, and I love them. I have a pair of the stork scissors too but, while they are very sharp, they're just a little small for me to work with. The Gingher's are also a little more expensive, but I feel they're worth it.
    Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
    My wife loves her Gingher stork scissors. I prefer these: http://www.amazon.com/Thread-Scissor.../dp/B000OED5EK

When I picked these up at Sewing Machines Etc, the owner told me that men seemed to prefer this style. I figured for $5 I couldn't go wrong. I ended up loving them, and went back for another pair to keep with the quilting machine. Kim has tried mine, but she is sold on her emroidery scissors. To each his (or her) own.

Darren
    I love these snips too - much easier to pick up and put down. I never use small scissors. Also in my travelling sewing set I have a pair of squissors and they are so sharp. Tiny blades that you just squeeze together. I use these when I'm hand sewing or on holiday. http://www.hcrafts.com/squissors.html
    Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by grammiepamie
    I use little Fiskers with the orange handles. They are so sharp and you get a really great cut with them. Wal-Mart has them for about 10 dollars. You can also get a little sharpener for them.
    I have these as well, and actually got the ones with the flexible handles. Very comfortable to use and SHARP!