Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need your expert opinion please :) >
  • I need your expert opinion please :)

• I need your expert opinion please :)

Old 08-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Oops!!! Sometimes I read too fast...;.....
    I thought it was funny....considering I have two grandkids! It's all good, not to worry!
    Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Wow, you guys are awesome! Lots of ideas! Thanks so much!
    Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
    Since you already have straight pins in place, get the foam ear plugs and put them on all the remaining pins - end of problem. They are widely available at pharmacies, sold in a plastic jar. This is the brand I use: http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Quiet-T...time+ear+plugs They have gone up in price since I got mine, but keep in mind that unlike the basting spray, you reuse these. I haven't had any wear out yet. There are similar things sold specifically for basting quilts, but I don't remember what they're called.
    Rose P, that's a great idea!!!!! That will help me get through the rest of the quilting on this blanket and then I can decide what I want to try next! Thanks!!!!
    Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Spray baste, and then pin strategically about a foot apart. I have a Hq16 on a frame and I float the quilt (all 3 layers) so the strategic use of pins is required, especially to mount the quilt straight. I've never quilted or even attempted to quilt on my dsm, so can't give an opinion on whether spray basting alone works well.
    Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM

This is my first post on the forum although I have read many of the posts. But I have a question on this topic of glue basting the layers before quilting. If I have missed the answer, I apologize. My question....can the quilts be hand quilted after using the glue method of spray baste method? or strictly by DSM or long arm?
    Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher
    This is my first post on the forum although I have read many of the posts. But I have a question on this topic of glue basting the layers before quilting. If I have missed the answer, I apologize. My question....can the quilts be hand quilted after using the glue method of spray baste method? or strictly by DSM or long arm?
    That is a good question! Most hand quilters have reported they are able to hand quilt after spray basting *if* they have used a light hand with the spray. If you use too much spray, you can get drag on the quilting needle. I would also use only 505 brand for this purpose, as occasionally I have read of other brands not working as well for hand quilting.

I do not think the Elmer's glue basting is recommended if you plan to hand quilt. The glue is too hard to get a needle through.
    Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    You need to use bent safety pins designed especially for basting quilts or just tack all over in 4 inch squares.

For a baby I would not use glue. Straight pins are not for basting.
    I mainly do baby and charity quilts - and I gave up using pins a long time ago for washable school glue. Pins take so long to put in; then you have to take them out; and they stick you or make your hands hurt. Phooey! School glue holds well; doesn't interfere with machine quilting; washes out completely. Oh, I've never tried spray basting, but I don't see any advantage over school glue.

Many people here want to dilute the glue and either paint it on or spray it on. Most use the glue straight out of the bottle. I squeeze the bottle about 12 to 18 inches above the batting, moving quickly, making rows (like plowing a field) about 2 or 3 inches apart. Baste both sides and let it dry overnight.

Read over threads about school glue basting and then try it, you'll be glad you did.

Tate
    Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
    Banned

I use the curved safety pins.
    Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM

When I discovered 505 - well, let's just say it was a joyful day! I have been doing baby quilts lately and I use the spray, with just a few safety pins for insurance. Then I hand baste all around the edges about 1/4" in (where my binding will end up). This works especially well when using Minke - either for the backing or in the blocks, as Minke has a mind of its own and does not like to stay put.
    Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 AM

I'm with all the other spray basters...once I used it, I refused to give blood any longer by using pins. Now, what I DO use after spray basting, especially with a larger quilt is the pinmoors. Can't live without those buggers!