Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need your great ideas!!!! >
  • I need your great ideas!!!!

• I need your great ideas!!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:12 PM

Bring along some colored construction paper that is cut into various shapes and colors, Elmers washable glue, and of course, some of the vanilla colored construction paper to attach the shapes to. Ask the kids to design their own 12" blocks, and (scotch tape?) hang them on the wall. Put a piece of construction paper "sashing" between each block and above and below. By the end of the evening, they will have designed a quilt.

If you have a few small quilts with some interesting blocks displayed, they can also compare their blocks to the ones in your quilts.

I predict fun, but not much sewing, and a gorgeous "paper-pieced" quilt by the end of the evening.

By the way, this is really the idea you suggested, just using materials the kids are more familiar with.
    Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Consider the large hexagon, with maybe the name of the school (printed on it ahead of time) and then put the school colors in 2-1/2" strips around it. You could make a table runner maybe with 3 of them for a sample to show. Then have the 5" or 8" (whatever size) hexagons cut out and the strips handy so they could sew them on. They could finish
    it by placing it on another one, or a plain back, sew around it, leaving an opening to turn it, and have it for a placemat, candle mat, or stuff it for a pillow. Show one quilted if you have time. This would be quick. Have fun.
    Old 03-02-2014, 01:19 AM

I've gotten some of my family interested in rag quilts, just by showing them the squares used to create the quilt. Why not demo some of that technique and tell them that they could make their own gifts without having to learn all the piecing and quilting techniques of other quilts? Have some samples in various stages of completion and one that's been washed to show the finished quilt. (Also, it might help to demo how to cut the fringe on the sqs. after sewing together)

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 03-02-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 AM

I'm so happy to hear of you doing quilting on Arts Night. I would love a chance to share my sewing/quilting skills with younger folks.

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Crazy quilt blocks sounds good. They also might like to watch you sew the Disappearing Pinwheel blocks. They might be surprised as you sew the pinwheels and then cut them again with your rotary cutter to make the two different block arrangement.
    They also might like a simple snowball block but kick it up a notch with markers. Do the snowball in bright yellow and have them put different smiley faces on them with markers. It would also make a cute hall quilt to hang in the school with all the different expressions. You could print out a bunch of computer emoticons if they need ideas.
    I think the smiley faces/emoticon is a cool idea!

Last edited by AnnT; 03-02-2014 at 04:23 AM.
    Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 AM

WOW!!!!! Great ideas, and lots of them!!!!! Keep them coming!!!!!
    Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 AM

Once in a while my little quilting group will set aside an afternoon to learn something new and experiment. I was showing them how some blocks were made and made examples in bright colors of disappearing nine patch, four patch, and pinwheels. With the samples you could see the original and then the cut up pieces which could be arranged in many different ways to create different looks and blocks. This really showed all the options and ideas you could create with one or two initial blocks. Could you create some of these examples and have them laid out for people to create blocks on their own? Just a thought.
    Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 AM

Having been in this position in the past I would suggest something simple, graphic and gives a quick finish. I think that some of the ideas that Jenny Doan uses would lend themselves to the project. Remember that for the most part your audience does not have a clue about the art of quilting. Pre-cuts might be the way to go.
    Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 AM

I once did a demonstration of quilted postcards at a quilt show. Had a lot of samples and brought my sewing machine and everything I needed and made some while I was there. Sold some too. The thing that surprised me was how many men were interested and watched as I worked on the postcards. Kids too. It was a fun day, didn't have to lug a whole lot of stuff and everyone loved it.
    Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 AM

When my favorite quilt store has an open house they have what they call "take and make". It's just an easy design that they make into a small wall hanging. The pieces are already cut out and every piece is supplied. They sit down and make it right there. It would take about a half an hour to make though, so maybe that's too long of a time for them to do this. You could charge them for the supplies? just an idea.
    Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 AM

I LOVE all the ideas here. I have done several of these demos. At our local festival, I had a quilt set up behind me mounted on my old fashioned quilt frame. (That got attention right away.) The thing that was most exciting to the booth visitors was the "Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt" by the Three Dudes. I had several blocks completed, and everyone would say, "I could never do that." Then I took the two squares of strips, turned them sideways, sewed and cut them up, and then they all said, "Wow" It is truly amazing.
    At this demo, I also had the Disappearing 9 Patch, some pinwheels, flying geese methods and a few others. Usually quilters were interested in these.

Another time, I had my daughter and two grandchildren, (ages 40, 18 and 4 from 3 different families) and gave them my wastebasket with the smallest scraps. (Regular scraps are way too big.) I put out a bowl of glue much diluted with water. They pasted the scraps onto a white fabric covered cardboard background in designs of their choosing. They were all beautiful, but the 18 yr. old had something really artistic. Later I did this same thing with an after-school class of 4-yr-old, Kindergarten and first graders. They also made some beautiful things. If you collected the wastebaskets from a lot of different people, just think of the fun these young people would have.