Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I Need Your Helpful Opinion for a Quilt Bummer >
  • I Need Your Helpful Opinion for a Quilt Bummer

• I Need Your Helpful Opinion for a Quilt Bummer

Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM

I suspect that you have left the quilt unfinished for 6+ years because you know deep down that the black fabric needs to be replaced. It is a lot of work and it will take some time but sometimes the effort is worth it. There really is no point in making and giving a quilt that can not be loved on and used like any other quilt.

I obviously vote to replace the black fabric. Just because you put some black batting or fusible behind it is not going to change the fact that this fabric was too thin to begin with and will not hold up any longer just because you can't see through it. Besides the thought of replacing all later is going to be so much more involved and difficult. I'd avoid that at all cost. Good Luck. It is a very lovely quilt.
    Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM

if you use black batting wouldn't the white appear kinda gray and not be as bright. it is a beautiful quilt. I would rip it out and replace it with kona black. I don't think you will regret it.
    Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM

I really think the black batting should work. Would also eliminate any "bearding" (white batting wisps working through the dark colors) that sometimes occurs in dark quilts. I always use it in dark quilts. Years ago I made a few really pretty quilts and they were ruined with white wisps of batting that appeared on the front. Battings may have improved but I never take the chance.
    Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM

I'd take it apart and replace the black fabric with a more substantial fabric. The thin fabric will wear out much too fast and you'll be unhappy at that point.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Its a nice quilt.
    Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM

I would be inclined to do a few Ricky Tims style applique pieces inside each triangle to hide the seams, then finish and quilt in the normal way. If the light batting shows through the part that doesn't have the applique on it, it will just add an extra dimension.
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    I would probably try black batting behind it and see if the seams stop showing. But then I always look for the easiest way out... LOL.
    This is what I would have said too. I just purchased black batting for my black flannel quilt. Good luck! It is a beautiful quilt. Wish I had seen it before I did my panel quilt.
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM

I think I would I would buy another piece of black fabric and sew it to the middle section. Of course being the Type A I am I would replace the black. I worry how long the thin fabric will last over the years. Your quilt is very pretty and your hubby will love it!
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    Is it all cotton or a poly blend? Sometimes poly blends are thinner, but they seem to hold up well a lot of the time.

If you still have some scraps of the black, make a potholder-size sample quilt sandwich and run it through the washer/dryer every time you do a load of laundry, and see if it holds up over several washes. If it does, go with the black batting. If it doesn't, then you'll have a lot of ripping to do.
    Very sensible! Good answer...
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:40 PM

I hope you can get some ideas that don't take to much work. this is real nice and I love the scene and the colors.
    Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 PM

What will it be used for? If it is to be a wall hanging I would go with the black batting and not worry about it. If it will be used heavily as a quilt and washed a lot, then you might want to consider replacing the black fabric so it will wear with the rest of the fabrics.