Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I said to myself, no new fabric...BUT >
  • I said to myself, no new fabric...BUT

• I said to myself, no new fabric...BUT

Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM

I wish we had a joann's here. Sounds like great place. We had one about 10 years ago but they went out if business. I guess there was too much competition from hobby lobby and hancock.
    Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Yep, a fabriholic here too! :>)
    Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 AM

With a baby on the way, and parents unemployed, but they are being very frugal choosing only necessary things, I decided to play Mrs. Santa Claus even though it will be late - but I went to Walmart, and got all kinds of fleece and backings to go with them, and a towel to make a hooded towel by cutting the towel in half, and like wise the washcloth diagonally (2 sets) - and well, sort of like buying for Christmas - the shopping cart was so full of fabric bolts and goodies, I couldn't see over it to get to the cutting table - the clerk just sighed when she saw me - oh well, my thought was if she didn't want to cut it, let someone else do it that needs a job! But, anyway I came home with such a load of fabric again that I swore I was never going to buy another thing! I have overloads of fabric, but no fleece and in this case it's winter - so fleece is the thing needed right now. Will make quilts, and with the fabric I have here on hand I'll make saques, burping cloths, changing cloths, receiving blankets (hoods on the smallest ones) and a minilayette - so my sewing machine will be mighty busy for a few weeks.

And here I was all anxious to get at quilting - me and my big heart - but I do believe in this case it will be as much appreciated as any of the quilts I'd make for the rest of my family - and I'll get at those as soon as this baby sewing is finished... ( by the way, this is for family also).

I always say no more! This time I really went overboard, but I think it will be in good taste to give it to a needy couple right now.
    Old 12-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Me too. I have been selling like crazy and then last week bought 50 yards of Moda different colored solids for 1.00 a yard from a lady who sells out of her house. And it is so soft and nice. In January she has all her calicos for 2.00 a yard. OMG. I will share the place in January, she is in her 80's and selling to make room. I helped her sell out her solids. Project linus bought 127 yds. (my chapter, lol) I bought 50 and Grannyp70 bought 25, etc. SO fun. My bad.
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Your family knows you are an fabric addict. When you go home from the LQS with no bags and your DH comes upstairs and asks you where your bags of fabric are?
    He's a keeper since he "never" says anything when I bring home bags of fabric.
    Old 12-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
    I just did that , too after a no more except backing plan!material, but on a remnant table I got over 15 yards for $5! PLUS 90" wide back for $5 yd. I was so happy to save so much. 4 remnants are 100% cotton--the toile is blend, but is is just perfect for a runner back.
    I could not believe it. LONG table runner and 6 place mats will be under $3 for the fabric --Xmas gift for pastor and wife....
    are you planning to have them made for THIS Christmas???
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:09 PM

When I read sueisallaboutquilts post about the rulers at Overstock.com, I couldn't resist. Went in to Overstock.com and bought 2 Omnigrip (6X24 and 12 1/2 Square) and a 12inch add a quarter with free shipping. Now it's time to make New Years resolution - Use up what I have and not buy anything else, because I don't need it. Like that is really going to happen!
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM
    Power Poster

Well at least you didn't buy out most of the store.
    Old 12-19-2010, 07:50 AM

Here is a poem by an unknown author that I used at a library presentation that our guild gave a couple of years ago for Quild Day during March (Quilt Month). Seems like a good place to post it in this conversation. Got lots of heads nodding in agreement as well as lots of LOL.

Quilter's Quandary

I have an affliction
    Or is it an addiction?
    It really is hard to say.
    I wake up each morning,
    Sleepy and yawning,
    Not ready to face the day.
    All night I've thought of plans,
    New patterns, designs and bands,
    Until I have lost my way.
    Each quilt I see
    Looks good to me.