Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I sewed my finger!!!!! >
  • I sewed my finger!!!!!

• I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:25 PM

I have done that two time, the first time I went to the hospital with the needle in my left thump. I was doing a quilt for my son and was doing the quilt all over when the bell rang and I jump and then the needle broke living half on the thump and half on the sewing machine, at the hospital they gave me shots to numb my thump and then they pull the needle out, the shot that the doctor gave me hurt more then the needle.
    Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    I was working on my latest charity quilt today and I sewed my finger. I was very very fortunate. I was doing machine applique using the satin stitch. I had the foot pedal unplugged so it was going pretty fast and it went in and out right beside by finger nail. It didn't stop the machine and it didn't skip a stitch. It just kept right on sewing. No blood on the quilt either. That's what is really important!!

So, want to share your sewing over your finger story?
    Oh my gosh. I'm sorry but I actually laughed when I read this because only a committed quilter would just keep on stitching and be proud that the machine didn't miss a stitch. Did you hold your breath to prevent the bleeding

;-)

I admit to having sewn into my finger a few times but my screams could be heard round the world until I lifted the presser foot and the needle out.

Your a real trooper.
    Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments and sharing your stories. It really wasn't like several of you experienced. It scared me more than anything. Thanks again for listening and sharing. BUT please don't try this at home!
    Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Oh yeah been there done that. I have learned all things bad happen late at night and when your in a hurry. I now even where safty glasses I have had so many misses when the needle breaks. I also cut the tip of my finger off at about 1 in the am when trying to cut out an easter dress with my new sissors. I call them my battle wounds.
    Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM

It's not the needle that keeps getting me. It's that darn screw that sticks out to loosen or tighten when you put in needle. Did it again yesterday. No blood luckeyly.
    Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM

I sewed by pointer finger when I was seven years old. It was late at night, and I wanted to finish my project, I fell asleep while sewing. The only thing smart that I did, was stop, turn the wheel and remove my finger. My mom was really surprised that I didn't just jerk it out. I remember it was baby blue thread. My mom pulled out the stitches and said that she hoped that I had learned a lesson. Never again!! :shock:
    Old 03-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Be very careful your finger, there are oils on a sewing machine needle which can cause a lot of serious internal damage that you don't see at first. It is important to clean it good and if the pain doesn't go away go see the doctor. I've known quilters who have ended up on I.V.'s for months to clear infections from sewing machine needles.
    Old 06-27-2010, 08:59 AM

I did the same thing 30+ years ago. I was sewing while my toddler was playing on the floor beside me, I turned to look at her and must have hit the power. BAMM,right through the side of my finger just into the nail and broke off. As soon as it hit my finger I quickly pulled it away and saw the thread coming out of my finger.That's when I realized what I had done. Gave a quick tug on the thread and the end of the needle popped out.I've never done it again.Teaching my kids and now my grand daughters to sew I always tell this story so they will be extra careful.
    Old 06-27-2010, 09:05 AM

Sewed my finger this weekend,too. Mine bled tho and I had to change the needle in my FW. Fortunately the needle didn't break in my finger but it did fly off. I always worry about it flying off and hitting me in the face or eye. :(
    Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 PM

I sewed my finger once. I think it only takes once and you never do it again.

It went in right beside the nail bed. It kind of sliced open the skin. I bled like a stuck pig. My first concern was not to get blood on the quilt. Then the second thought was how much it hurt. I kind of freaked out. Just knew I was going to have the whole thing stitched up. Called my daughter who was working for our family Dr. He told her for me to come in. I drove myself to the office. By the time I got there, the bleeding had stopped. he took one look slapped some triple antibiotic cream on it and a band-aid and said it would be fine.

So my lessons from that day, keep fingers out of the needle area, and if I fail to do the first lessons, a little antibiotic cream and a band-aid should fix the problem :oops: