Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I sewed my finger!!!!! >
  • I sewed my finger!!!!!

• I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 AM

you said it marsye!!! lol
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Yes I have sewed my finger probably 50 years ago when I worked at Gay Gibson Garmet factory. Was sewing and all of a sudden the needle went through my pointer finger and broke the needle. Had needle and thread still sticking out and they took me to doctor to remove it. Hurt like the devil but the tetanus shot was just as bad as sewing my finger. Haven't done it since, sure pray I don't
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 AM

I was doing a sewing demo and I looked up when someone asked a question and the next thing I know my middle finger was under the needle. I use the needle up, needle down position, so it went all the way thru.Everyone stopped and watched. I had to raise the needle and work my finger out, while bleeding; had masking tape close by so taped the finger to stop the bleeding and went on with the demo.

After that everyone wanted a demo with the lady that sewed her finger. I wonder if they thought I would do it again?
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 AM

Here is a picture of the offending block. I don't think a stylus would have helped since I was pulling the fabric around one of the curves. Hopefully I learned my lesson about being careful because it really didn't hurt and I'm pretty sure if I would have done what some of you have done the outcome wouldn't have been so nice.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-29012.jpe  
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Renee, I did the same thing hand quilting. Tried to move my finger and I was stuck. It just went through the top layer of skin. I cracked up wondering if anyone else had ever done that. LOL
    Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Oh I have done that too, but...
    It was late at night, burning the midnight oil when the kiddies were 12 and under. Sewed my forefinger right through the nail, left hand--ouch--broke the needle, and I knew there was a pieceof needle in my finger. DH took me to ER, and the older MD on call didn't beleive me when I told him there was metal in my finger, but I could feel it. Long story short, he deadened the finger and started cutting and voila, there was about a 1/4" piece of needle. Think the old guy was wondering why any sane person was sewing at that time of night, but young mom's everywhere know why. Anyway 25+ years later end of finger still has a dead spot! Be careful out there!
    I did this as well! My nails grow long so it caught my pinky nail, sucked my finger under and broke the needle. Went to the ER, got a tetanus shot :-( and they had to cut my pinky, remove the metal and give me one stitch lol!
    Hugs
    April
    Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM

I sewed my finger,on my atavar quilt. Fortunately I had a friend who was a PA who came over and pulled it out. It went through my finger nail, bone and out the other side. No infection, or long term side effects. It did take me a few days before I would look at that sewing machine again! I'm more careful now.
    Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 AM

I did that not once but twice. The second time it went in on the side of the finger and stuck. I had to call my husband to turn the needle up. The next thing he had to check to see where the broken of piece of the needle went. The thread was still attached. It did break the shaft on the sewing machine. They said you haven't sewed until you sew your finger. I highly suggest you don't let that happen. LOL
    Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM
    Power Poster

well my Mother sewed her finger. it got infected and she lost the tip of it. still had a nail but it curved downward. long time ago too though.
    Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Did that too, only I jerked & it ripped my finger open. Bled like a stuck pig. It was at the tip of my 2nd finger. Got a nice scar. If I just hadn't jerked. Still gives me the shudders.