Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I think I have "cold feet" >
  • I think I have "cold feet"

• I think I have "cold feet"

Old 04-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Don't compare yourself to other quilters. Yours look different so they are unique! You need to relax and be more confident in what you are doing. Sometimes we are in such a hurry to get "this quilt done". Slow down.
    Old 04-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Yes, this is typical. I have learned so much by the mistakes I have made. Quilting is a process. Embrace it and jump in.
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
    I'm fairly new at quilting as some of you may know. I've only made a table runner, set of placemats and a baby rag quilt. I have a few projects that I want to make but keep putting them off.
    I think I'm afraid of failing and ruin fabric. Is this a normal newbie thing???
    You only fail if you don't try.

(Keep on trying little birdie, one day you will fly like an eagle!)
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 AM

I agree with the person who said, "one block at a time". If it helps, just tell yourself that you are going to "practice" the pattern with the material you bought and then you'll make a "real" quilt next time. (laughing...it works for me.) :lol:
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 AM

Fear can be a powerful deterrent, but the trick is not to let it rule you. Start small, and convince yourself that cutting fabric was what that fabric was made for- you are not destroying it but transforming it into something beautiful.

If fear persists, then I would seek professional help- there is nothing wrong with seeking a counselor to help you deal with that fear that is stopping you from succeeding. Better to deal with it once than let it hinder you forever! :-)
    Let us know how it's going.
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 AM

yes. it is for me too!
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 AM

You might start sewing with fabric that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (whatever is available). Build up your confidence level with small projects that aren't intimidating! Learn to enjoy the whole process!
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 AM

I have been quilting for 30 years and still get cold feet sometimes! I am working on a charity quilt with some donated scraps--all in triangles. With one fabric I only had just enough to do some half square triangles. I had to be SOOOOOO careful when cutting--if I screwed just one up the whole design would have been ruined. No pressure there! So cold feet can happen to me anytime.
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 AM

Me personally, yes it is a newbie feeling. My friend Maggie has been intstrumental with helping me in the past with cutting fabric and reviewing the instructions. I've only been sewing since Sept. 2010, and I am so not good at free motion quilting (FMQ), but as everyone else says, practice makes perfect. Everyone started out by trial and error and trust me, this forum helps very much!! What we feel doesn't look good, to someone else it's the most precious thing they've ever had!!

Happy Quilting!!!!
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    Yes, I am just a bit older than a newbie, quilting for about a year and a half, and I always just know I wont like a quilt that I have planned. I am just finishing one this evening, in time for "Show and Tell" at the guild meeting tomorrow night, and I am not sure I will take it. My quilts just always look so different than anyone else's.

But, you know what...I have finally decided that if I fail, so what? I'll just make another quilt...
    Have more confidence in yourself. We all know we won't like a quilt when it's finished and will always find some part of it that could have been done better. Take the quilt to the guild meeting and show it off. It's good that your look different from the others at guild. It just says that your vision is unique. Unique is good! You are only a failure if YOU think you're a failure. Each quilt is a learning experience and the next one will be better. Go for it!