Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I think I have "cold feet" >
  • I think I have "cold feet"

• I think I have "cold feet"

Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 AM

I struggled with that very thing last night! I've been staring at a stack of fabrics I had chosen to make a quilt for my grandson, this will be my second quilt. I was fine cutting the accent pieces, but when it came time to start cutting the main piece, I was scared to death! LOL! Well, once I made the first cut I was fine, and I've already realized I made some errors in measurement, but I'm still okay! I'll just adjust for it later! Just make that first cut, I'm sure it will turn out great!
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 AM

I've been quilting since 1992 and I still have cold feet! I still consider myself definitely not in the advanced stage yet! So far everything has turned out okay to me and others seem to like what I do. My first quilt was HUGE, large enough for a spread so that I had time to get the experience I needed to quilt it.

My sister gave me a wonderful little book with simple blocks and how to's or I still wouldn't be quilting.... I am blessed with coming from a family of quilters on all sides. Just keep plugging! You'll be fine!
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 AM

You won't ruin the fabric. You'll just have smaller pieces of it!
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
    I'm fairly new at quilting as some of you may know. I've only made a table runner, set of placemats and a baby rag quilt. I have a few projects that I want to make but keep putting them off.
    I think I'm afraid of failing and ruin fabric. Is this a normal newbie thing???
    Very normal. Is there a LQS or local guild where you could get moral support? If you come to Townsend MT there is a group of us that meet every Friday for Quilt Till You Wilt, your more than welcome to join us. We'll help, encourage and I'm sure make you laugh. It is the best part of my week.
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM

I felt this way more than once when I saw a lovely pattern I "might" want to try. Then one time, I saw a pattern for a beautiful quilt that I knew I had to try, so I got my DH to make me the templates and I proceeded - slowly at first.
    Step by step, I worked on it, and was so thrilled by the end result, I determined right then and there, I would definately challenge myself more after that.
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 AM

no not a newbie thing, it is a 'quilters' thing....we all have that 'egads' feeling when we cut new fabric....good luck with your quilting....stay with it..........gina
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM

I guess I am an odd ball! I love challenges! I have projects lined up one behind another, and as soon as one gets done, I am itching to get another going. I must say in my short quilting journey, I challenged myself in every project whether it is a new technique, difficult pattern, colors or whatever, and I consider most of the end results successful to a degree. I just approach every project with a mindset that this is my hobby, I don't need to have anything done, I am just exploring,expressing myself and having fun! What is there to be scared about? We are not dealing with human lives here, it is just fabric! You cut it wrong, you just give your creativity more room to grow! I understand the frustration to try to get it right, but really, it is just fabric! Go wild and play and you will surprise yourself!
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM

You are NORMAL!! I spend hours and days agonizing over fabric choices, placement, etc. Often after I am started I find something I think I would have liked better...

Say the words free-motion-quilting and the perspiration runs off my body like a shower! I shake like someone who has had a pot of coffee!

Trust me, quilting fear is not something you invented. BUT, when we get in the groove and make something we love, what a high!
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM

For me, I think it is the perfectionist in me. I guess I am always in search of the most perfect, most beautiful, most well done quilt. No pressure here. I find that I always LOVE the quilt that I end up with. And almost always it is not exactly what I thought it would be when I started. I've been doing this for about 30 years. I'm a happy quilter. Just don't get to do this enough. :)
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Myself being a newbie as well, I have to say nope, thats how you learn, mistakes and all! :-)

So get in there and sew like there's no tomorrow, and will turn out great!