Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process... >
  • I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process...

• I think I've found my absolute least favorite task in the quilting process...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM

I guess I don't really know what a spiral needle is. Could someone explain it to me? Thanks so much!
    Marilyn
    Old 02-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by grandma.me
    I guess I don't really know what a spiral needle is. Could someone explain it to me? Thanks so much!
    Marilyn
    Marilyn, look here: http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/

They are worth every penny!
    Old 02-08-2012, 02:43 PM

I learned to not knot my thread when quilting - years ago in New Hampshire, i put the needle through the top layer, and through the batting about 1 inch before the necessary stitching - pop the needle out the back and then do a loop (backstitch)stitch and pop the needle out the top where you need to begin quilting.

I used to make tiny knots and then pop them through the top fabric, but love the first way much better.
    Originally Posted by Quiltlady330
    I bury ends as I go. One thing I've done in recent years is slow down and enjoy the process. I used to be in such a rush to complete a project so I could start the next one that I was losing some of the pleasure of doing it to begin with. Now I try not to be so rushed. I used to hide the ends after the quilt was finished and absolutely hated it so I don't do it anymore.
    Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM

O.K., what is a spiral needle, and what do you use them for? Do quilt stores sell them, or do you have to order online?
    Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM

I use the Easy Threading needles --- they're the same I think as spiral eye needles ---- or close to it. I don't tie off my threads when the quilt is on the longarm......my back HATES me doing that. So, I bring the quilt in the house when it's done, sit on my recliner and go at it. I've tied off 1000000s of threads with that needle and it goes really fast. I did a detailed (means lots of thread ends) KING size quilt in one evening.