Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I think the quilt police have my name... >
  • I think the quilt police have my name...

• I think the quilt police have my name...

Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 AM

I am a newbie quilter and I do not have any intentions of sewing anything by hand. Relaxing??? Absolutely not, I am a mom, military wife, cook and everything else that goes along with being a SAHM. The last thing I want is unfinished quilts laying around my house b/c I don't have time to hand bind my quilt. This hobby is about enjoying yourself and when you worry about what others think then it no longer becomes fun!! Enjoy, have fun and keep machine sewing your binding.
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 AM

I do most by machine as well as I feel that it's going to last a lot longer through machine washing. I also crochet and knit but that's a different kind of handwork and it doesn't count!!
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 AM

I do as much as I can by machine as well....I do a lot of applique', all by machine, even if it is a pattern for needle turned applique' ( I am working on "Affairs of the Heart" pattern now and it is all needle turned..I will be doing all machine applique' on it)...I also crochet and do counted cross stitch.
    I think if you like to do all the handwork, more power to you...it's just not my thing.
    AND, yes, there are quilting/sewing/crafting snobs out there. I have met a few of them myself.
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 AM

I don't like to handset anything. If I can do it by machine, then I will. That said, I do hand baste some of my smaller quilts using the boards and pearl cotton. I'm always stabbing myself. I used to cross stitch and I crochet and knit some. I know quite a few people that hand sew their bindings and that's ok too. We are a diverse group of people, us quilters, and that's good. If everyone was like me, there wouldn't be many complicated or appliqued quilts around!! Ha ha
    Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM

Ok auto correct- I meant hand sew in the first statement.
    Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 AM

MaryLane.... I agree with you! I do do some hand stitching on some very special quilts, but I have a machine to make life easier and that is what I use it for .... Sorry you ran into the QP snobs. Why is it that no matter what you do there is somebody out there that thinks that it is wrong just because it is different then what they do or like?
    Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM

I do both machine and hand bindings. It just depends on the quilt and what it is being used for. I think both are good.
    Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

Hand sewing is for those the really like doing it. I don't think it should be considered the correct way for binding as most all the 'experts' want to enforce. I think it's time most 'experts' start thinking about retiring.
    Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane
    Thanks, everyone! Nice to know I am not alone.

I can do a pretty good job when I have to. I just don't like it. I sew my labels on by hand. I used to embroider a lot.

I just think I would cry in frustration if I were faced with a queen-sized quilt to hand sew the binding on with.

Now, I do love a good challenge. So, I am trying to do the Farmer's Wife Sampler on my treadle. I MAY hand sew that binding but probably not.

And I'm the opposite. Didn't even blink when faced with hand stitching a binding for a 96" x 96" quilt last June-----------will be doing the same shortly for our church raffle. (I'm slow!)

Thank heavens, there is a place for each of us!
    Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 AM

I do as much as I can by machine too. They way I look at it is..Its my art and my quilt. I'll do what I want when I want to get the project done. I don't care what anyone else thinks. =)