Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam >
  • I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam

• I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam

Old 03-29-2015, 06:13 AM

I know it has helped me I have always thought that it meant within the seams of the block but I do tend to want my stitches hidden. But have been going beside the stitch line.
    Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
    I avoid stitch in the ditch. My attempts always look messy to me and so I do free motion which doesn't cause me as much angst. Interesting that there is varied opinion as to what stitch in the ditch is.
    Mine looks messy too - close up. Stand 6-feet away and look at it, and it looks great!!
    Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 AM

*** I was taught in Home Ec class to Stitch-in-the-ditch
    *** was in the crack -or- on the seam line.
    Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM

I, too was taught to SID on seam line, but after trying too many times to acheive I had that AHA! moment.
    If I can use seam Line? to stitch, why not go beside it. Not only did it become easier to quilt, but I am NOT just stitching over thread....

Does that make snse? I have changed many a students thought process but explaining this. I teach now to zig-zag (for those without fancy machines) or use a stippling, serpentine or feather stitch over the whole seam of piecing.
    This then holds both sides of the seam to the batting and backing. Don't know how the ID part of SID came to be, but I actually think it looks better if you can see the quilting. IMHO.
    Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 AM

This is funny. I quilted one quilt at about 1/8" from the seam line instead of in the seam because of the design of the seaming on that particular quilt. The quilt show judge wrote on my critique, "Get your stitch-in-the-ditch quilting into the ditch." Obviously my design ideas were not appreciated.
    Old 03-29-2015, 11:39 AM

I was taught to use the actual seam as the guide and the stitching is then a very little way beside the actual seam so that it was like top stitching. The person who taught me used any sewing foot that could keep you an equal distance from the real seam (zipper foot, 1/4" foot, etc). Guess that would not be SITD if you are sewing beside the seam.
    Old 03-29-2015, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;7143337]That's how I learned to do it, on the low (ditch) side of the seam, as close to the seam as you can get, but not right on it.[/Q Same here.
    Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM

To all those who are saying that SITD (I mean in the actual ditch, as was intended) made their quilt less strong: Have any of you had experience with that type of quilting giving out. I would think that with the thread hidden, it would last longer. I have seen top stitching worn away.
    Old 03-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I stitch where I want. Sometime in the seam sometime to the right or to the left. I'm not a quilt rule follower. LOL
    Ditto for me too.
    Old 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM

I think that whatever we choose to do, this is our quilt we're making. I'm sure not going to make a quilt I intend to use to please a judge of a quilt show. I make the quilt to suit myself, and it may not be "right" as is sometimes taught, but it will be "right" for me, because I will be happy with the fact that I have the option to choose and to heck with anything else! Sorry, I don't mean to be hateful! I've gotten a little rebellious in my old age. When I was younger, in my working life, I have, on occasion been treated like a proverbial doormat. Well, I've learned that I don't have to tolerate that attitude. I'm not a doormat and no one is going to walk all over me!

Jeanette