Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I used up all my Misc batting, >
  • I used up all my Misc batting,

• I used up all my Misc batting,

Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I am starting on my stash of Mug rugs. I like making them because it is like doing a mini quilt. Takes less than 5 minutes to quilt. Great idea for working on your FMQ!!
    I love making mug rugs too,kind of addicting to make
    Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM

My sister makes potholders and mug rugs, and always carries a few with her. She gifts them to sales people and others as a thank you if they have been especially helpful to her. People love them. Most of hers are crazy quilt or log cabin type blocks about 8" square that she sews directly onto her batting in the sew and flip method. She then uses the silver teflon fabric (think ironing board cover) as the backing and does a simple stipple.
    Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 AM

One of my favorite things to make is potholders... I do the same, use up all the trimmings from quits and scraps from my scrap bin. Like you I sell them as well. and always sell every single one. When I add up what I make on the potholders.. I then figure out how many yards of premium quilting fabric I can buy.... so its very motivating.

Last edited by Lori S; 04-07-2014 at 08:47 AM.
    Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM

I make my potholders round--no corners to the binding!
    Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 AM
    Suz

From SewingSuz: "I have lots of potholders cut out and today I cut the batting for them. I had several kinds of different batting left over and it was taking a bin and half of storage. I sorted it by like kinds and sewed pieces together all day by butting pieces together. I used all but one bag of all these scraps. . . . ."

My thought about using polyester batting in potholders is that it will melt and possibly catch fire. I am concerned about it conducting heat. ----- Does anyone have experience with a problem here, or is it just me?
    Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM

I'm not sure about using only polyester, but Insulbrite is a reflective metallic layer sandwiched with polyester.
    Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
    Power Poster

I started last week and every time I make them, I give them away.they seem to find homes quicker thank I can make them. have fun
    Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Suz
    From SewingSuz: "I have lots of potholders cut out and today I cut the batting for them. I had several kinds of different batting left over and it was taking a bin and half of storage. I sorted it by like kinds and sewed pieces together all day by butting pieces together. I used all but one bag of all these scraps. . . . ."

My thought about using polyester batting in potholders is that it will melt and possibly catch fire. I am concerned about it conducting heat. ----- Does anyone have experience with a problem here, or is it just me?
    I use 100% cotton or 80/20 batting in my potholders and mugrugs. I have used insulbrite, too. I don't use polyester batting, not because I think it will melt, but because I don't think it protects from the heat as well.
    Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Show us some picture of ones you have done. This sounds like a good thing to do to use up scrap of fabric.
    Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Sure sounds like a good way to use scraps, would like to see some of those. Picts? I should make myself some new ones. Is the batting enough for the inside?