Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I want to buy a new dye cutting machine. Which one? >
  • I want to buy a new dye cutting machine. Which one?

• I want to buy a new dye cutting machine. Which one?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:31 AM

I almost bought after Thanksgiving. They had some great sales at the accuquilt site. I like how easy it is to use and how fast it cuts but for me the drawback is how expensive each die is and how many dies I'd probably wind up buying.

I have a friend who has a Go and the studio with a variety of dies so I use hers until I bent her tray on the studio when I was too busy talking. I gave her the money to replace it but still now I'm afraid I'll mess something else up when I'm not paying attention.

I've heard the Big Shot Pro from Sixxiz (sp?) is pretty good and will use the Accuquilt dies-but don't quote me on that just something I've heard.
    Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM

My friend has Studio and loves it. She did a wedding ring in no time and with great precision. Investment depends on how much you will use it. Enjoy!
    Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Great information from everyone - thank you
    Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You are all so kind to help me. Now I have some info on the different models. I am saving my money so I can buy one in the spring. Thank you so much. Jeanne
    Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 AM

I have the Go! Baby. I decided on that one because I like smaller quilt blocks so the regular was overkill for me. The Baby is geared toward applique and 8" blocks. I got a sweet deal from accuquilt that included the cutter, tote, 2 1/2" strip, basic set, and hearts along with 3 mats for $200. Not sure if this deal is still running though.

I just got it so the only thing I have made so far are cute fabric gift tags that Ebony Love shows us how to make on you-tube. So cute!

Last edited by Darby361; 12-22-2011 at 06:54 AM.
    Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
    Go to youtube.com and look at videos of the brands. I bought an accuquilt Studio and like it a lot. Yes they are expensive, I needed something to help because I have bad hands. I bought a 2 1/2" strip and want a 1 1/2 inch one, also bought a set for the 12" block, which has a lot of usable dies in it. Then, hearts, circles, hexes, dresden plate and the tumbler. There are so many for the go and studio you couldn't probably buy them all. You can now use the dies of the go in the Studio with an adapter. Good luck.
    When you cut the 2 1/2" strips - how long are they? or what is the longest length you can cut the strips??
    Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 AM

I just bought the Go Baby and some dies and some cutting mats at a great price on ebay
    there are some bundles that are priced better than anywhere I have seen and I have been
    looking for some time now.... Merry Christmas to me LOL
    Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 AM
    Banned

wow..I got confused...wondering how you cut DYE other than with water...ok..so DIE cutter...
    I have several, ALL are from Ellison/Sizzix and I use their dies and Accucut/quilt dies. Knowing what dies YOU need is only something YOU can answer. Are you wanting to use the cutter for making applique shapes, or do you want to make cookie cutter quilts using the block pieces? I have both, strips, blocks, shapes, you name it...I use shapes the most as I help some elderly folks out so they can make MORE quilts faster!
    What Dies I can not get at wholesale, I mainly get from Joann.com! I watch for the 40% and Free shipping..close enough to wholesale for me!
    Forgot to mention if you want to watch all the cutters being tested, check out the website ihaveanotion.com!

Last edited by jaciqltznok; 12-22-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JUNEC
    When you cut the 2 1/2" strips - how long are they? or what is the longest length you can cut the strips??
    It depends on how many layers you can cut and which cutter you have. I have the Go! and typically cut strips the width-of-fabric (42" or so).
    Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by peggy119
    I have the Accuquilt GO and love it. I have several dies that I use, but I go to the 2 1/2" strip or the 5" square dies alot. It is just a quick and accurate way to cut.
    Me too. I love my GO and these two are my favorite dies also. I'm planning on getting some of the dies I can use for applique too. I have the Sizzix too but I like my GO best.