Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I want to divorce my sewing machine >
  • I want to divorce my sewing machine

• I want to divorce my sewing machine

Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 AM

I totally understand. I had one like that too. Every time I had to re-thread it or change the bobbin, it would act up. I would re-thread and re-thread and re-thread, the same way each time, and eventually it would start working. It nearly drove me crazy until one day, it did drive me crazy. I got in the car, drove to the nearest sewing machine dealer, and bought a new one. I didn't shop around, I just bought one, and I've lived happily ever after. I had the old one serviced, and I keep it on a shelf as a spare. So far, I haven't used it since that day.
    Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

I actually did divorce my new machine. She was so sweet in the store and when I got her home she was a true Quiltzilla. So I fought with her for a bit and when my DH came up from his office to find out who the heck I was yelling at, he asked me why I would fight with a stupid machine (considering my quilty sewing is supposed to be fun). She is in the closet and my new Babylock is just a dream.
    Old 10-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spring
    Oh I know how you feel
    I was making an adorable outfit for my daughter when my machine decided to act up and tore a piece out of it. I had spent weeks smocking it. Having small children at my feet I calmly unplugged the machine, picked it up, walked out the door, put it behind my SUV and backed over it a few (hundred) times....Hubby was not happy, I needed a new tire when I was done. That was not the first outfit it screwed up but it was its last. I bought a replacement machine in craigslist for $60.00 and have not missed that expensive piece of crap. Still can't talk hubby into buying me a new machine...lol but at least that one will never darken my doorway again.
    Perfect!!! I've wanted to do that to so many other things -- printers, computers, other people's cell phones . . .
    Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!Being all female with you screaming and offering you wine and dark chocolate. Turn that thing off and go watch a good movie.)))))) Hugs(((((((((
    No dark chocolate here--how about milk chocolate and caramel?
    Don't feed the machine caramel ... that could be the problem! Its all gunked up!!! :lol: :lol:

Grounds for divorce ? Irreconcilable differences!
    Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 PM

LOL okay this is me backing away slowly!

Originally Posted by Spring
    Oh I know how you feel
    I was making an adorable outfit for my daughter when my machine decided to act up and tore a piece out of it. I had spent weeks smocking it. Having small children at my feet I calmly unplugged the machine, picked it up, walked out the door, put it behind my SUV and backed over it a few (hundred) times....Hubby was not happy, I needed a new tire when I was done. That was not the first outfit it screwed up but it was its last. I bought a replacement machine in craigslist for $60.00 and have not missed that expensive piece of crap. Still can't talk hubby into buying me a new machine...lol but at least that one will never darken my doorway again.
    Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 AM

Gee, I have the same problem with my serger, took two days to hem a pair of pants, thread kept breaking - gave up and now am taking a class ( the 3rd) on using a serger..... Maybe it is me and not the machine. where is that dark chocolet?????
    Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Okay, it's 2 days later. Enquiring minds want to know! What is the status of your machine?
    Old 10-18-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    Okay, it's 2 days later. Enquiring minds want to know! What is the status of your machine?
    Perhaps she's planning services and burial? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Old 10-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Thank you for caring! It's working again.

Joking aside, I have found before, and I did again this time, that waiting until the kids are in bed and then having a beer or two makes it easier to put these things into perspective. (I am a recovering chocaholic so I have NOT been taking all that advice about referring the matter to Mr Cadbury!!!)

I'm sure the general advice is not to drink and sew, but once I had that mental space between me and the cold hard reality that my machine is a mad creature who hates me, I was more able to thread, rethread, unscrew, dust and (I think this might have been the best bit) hold the entire thing upside down and shake it in case anything was going to fall out from in there. (Yes, I was sitting by a large picture window as I did this- I can thank Mr Guinness for the fact that I did not follow through on the obvious temptation.)

I peered in as I turned the wheel by hand and watched out for microscopic particles. But I still think it was the bobbin race. Either way, after the gazillionth adjustment, it is working again, for the moment. But I have its number, and just as soon as I win lotto I am replacing it- my girls can learn on it- that'll teach it a thing or two!