Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I want a embroidery machine...LQS trying to talk me into 300E Janome >
  • I want a embroidery machine...LQS trying to talk me into 300E Janome

• I want a embroidery machine...LQS trying to talk me into 300E Janome

Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM

You need to decide how much embroidery you want to do to see if the price matches how much it will be used. I wanted to stay a quilter, but to play with the embroidery. I bought a used Janome 300 which suits my needs perfectly. Be aware that the cost of the machine is only the start of what the end cost will be - threads, stabilizers, designs, etc. are all part of the necessities. With all that said, I enjoy playing with the embroidery.
    Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 AM

I have a Janome 300E, purchased right before the 350E came out. I wish I had the 350E because of the file storage capabilities for your designs in the 350E. Much better than the 300E. Having said that, I still love my 300E! I may upgrade at some point. I also have a computer program called the Customizer 10000 Plus, which I purchased from my Janome Dealer at the same time I got the embroidery machine. It allows me (among many other things) to purchase designs on line and transfer them to my card to put into my machine to read it. My card is full now, and when I went back to purchase another, (because I don't want to erase the designs on the card), I was unable to find another one. I don't think they make that size card anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

Last comment: Everything others have said about being comfortable with your dealer is TRUE!!! I found that out the hard way when I purchased my Janome 6500 quilting machine. I love the machine, but didn't get good service from where I purchased it. Luckily, I happened upon a Janome dealer while visiting in the Osage Beach area, (three hours away from where I live, but well worth the trip) and I purchased my embroidery machine from them. Love them. They have helped me with my quilting machine as well.
    Hope this has helped. :-)
    Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 AM

You can save your designs in a computer file. It was near impossible to find a memory card of this size, but I finally found one on-line then my sister had an older camera that used that size, so she gave me that as well. I use the Digitizer Jr. for downloading and manipulating designs. It cost around $200.00 but I couldn't do anything without it 'cuz I don't know how - the downfall of buying a used machine from a private party even though she promised to teach me everything, then backed out after she got my money. Still love the machine though! It does just what I want ... but one more bigger hoop would be nice!
    Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 AM

I have a Janome 10001 and love it, also checked out Brother at the time. so you see who won, yes its alot of money but like I read earlier, no problems except operator error. I also have a gem for traveling and classes,plus a serger,and a treadle which I use to make my daughters clothes on when she was little.
    Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bluebonnet
    I went to my LQS to look at a used Brother 5700 for $449. I had already read reviews on it, people saying they couldn't find parts-hoops and such for it. So I was skeptical about it anyway. When I went to the shop, they told me I really shouldn't get it, for all the same reasons. They started telling me about Janome 300E machine. I really like it, but am debating about spending that much on it. It's regularly $1299 and he told me he could give it to me for $999. Still that's a lot to spend on a machine I may not use every day or even every week. I don't want to buy a machine though that does the 3x5 and wish I had spent a little more and gotten one that does 5x7 area stitching. Can some of you tell me the great things your machines do and which machines you have?
    TIA
    Bobbi
    I belong to a sewing group where I and best friend are the only people who don't have embroidery machines. It seems to us that no matter what brand they have, they have to spend hours and hours watching them and changing thread colors--as well as hours and hours taking them to and from the repair shop. When they get through, they have beautiful designs and they seem very pleased with what they've done, but I would think very hard before spending that much money on a machine I might not use every day.
    Moreover, the machine is not the only expenditure. The thread is immensely expensive and getting the patterns you want can be very costly. froggyintexas
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Bobbi ck the QB sales section they had 2 Vickings for some great prices. I have the diamond and love love love it! I paid 9,999 for mine. Good luck hunting.
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM

I started out with a Brother PE 150 then got a Brother Ult 2003D Loved them both was a die hard brother fan then I got a Janome 10000 At a Garage Sale for my Daughter so she could have a larger hoop because she had a Brother 270D . I loved this machine so much I kept it for a year then I got a 11000SE so I let her have the 10000 and she is hooked on Janome machines now also The stitch outs are so much better on the Janome than the Brother machines
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by suekenyon
    I have a Janome 350E and love it. If you are going to
    Thomas Sewing they are very nice to deal with, however
    I had purchased mine before moving. You might contact
    Richland Sewing Center in Hurst to price them..that is
    where I purchased mine. Another thought on that Thomas
    would be much closer if you have problems or need help. Good Luck on what you purchase and Enjoy.
    Thomas sewing center is where I got mine they are great really stand behind their machines and better yet teaching you all the bells and whistles to them
    Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM

I just bought a Singer XL400 for $699.00. Bought it from Sewvacdirect. It is a brand new mahine. It also works as a regular sewing machine. I love it. It sews out to 6.3in X 10.4 inches. Very easy to use. Hooks up directly to your computer. Doesn't have a screen on the machine. Runs from the computer. This is my second Singer embroidery machine. I do recommend them. I had a brother and would not recommend it to any one.Yo can PM if you would like more info.
    Snownannie
    Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM

I agree Thomas sewing, all of the people there are very nice.
    That is where I go when I need something.