Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I want to hear your story on quilting >
  • I want to hear your story on quilting

• I want to hear your story on quilting

Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
    Zoe

Dear Diana, Please do keep posting your story. As I wrote to the lady who started this wonderful question on the Board, these memories can be saved for your own quilt journal. I find most quilts have stories such as yours, and your mother's work must not be lost to history.

Many a time I have found a pieced quilt top at one of the plantation/quilt shows here in Virginia with no name, date, place, or pattern. How sad that the quiltmaker is unknown. I know that I get bored with certain patterns, but if I've actually pieced the top, I write my name, date, place, etc.

My own dear friend has macular degeneration too, but I get her to record her memories which I transcribe for her. If she isn't up to recording, I write down her thoughts, print them out to read to her, slipping them into a journal of memories for her own family. She often regretfully says that she thought she had all the time in the world to pursue her hobbies once she retired.

Another suggestion for your mother is to get the books on tape, especially the quilt saga written by Jennifer Chiaverini whose stories are poignant, funny, and interesting.

Zoe
    Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    The true story of two quilters, part one.
    My mom was a quilter and being the only child (I lost my brother when he was 17, and me 19) she gave me quilts. These were utility quilts made with polyester from clothing. In those years she didn't buy fabric like we do now. She went to rummage sales, and later, garage sales, and found used polyester clothes, which she washed and tore apart at the seams. She used simple patterns, and with puffy batting, tied them all. As my children were born and growing up, they all had quilts from Granny. Different stages in their lives got them a new quilt. For my son, who grew to be 6'5" at 16 years old, she made a very long one. My daughters got pretty pink and orange, blue and pink, with greens thrown in. As time passed and quilting changed~ think rotary cutter~ so did Mom's quilting. She found a pattern called Sunshine and Shadow, and we all got one of those, in cotton fabrics that she bought at Joanne. They were beautiful! She had great color sense. Her bindings were always zig-zagged on and there was little to no batting out that far, so it was usually just a strip of fabric folded in half and sewn on to the edge to keep it all together.
    During all this time I never quilted. I was busy being a single mom with 3 or four kids, depending on who was living where at any given time. I worked full time and when the kids were little made all their clothes, plus my own. I would sew late at night and early in the morning. I thought quilting was a waste of time. Mostly because I didn't have any left over at day's end!
    But I did do craft things. I taught myself to crochet at about 9 years old~my grand mother had crocheted and so I wanted to do what Grandma did~ and was producing doilies for my "hope(less) chest", as by brother called it. As I got older and babysat for people and had my own spending money, I bought yarn and made afgans. I did embroidery work on towels and pillow cases.
    I crocheted until the 1980's and in 1986 I saw a pattern in a magazine that caught my eye. It was beautiful. It was a Grandmother's Fan in a queen size, green and lilac, my favorite colors! I immediately went shopping for fabric, armed with the requirements for yardage. The fans were assorted pinks, greens and lilacs. I bought waaaay more than necessary to make them. I also bought the wrong kind of fabric. I got all silky prints. No rotary cutter, none of the neat thing I have today. But by May I was finishing the quilt with hand quilting. It was done! It was lovely! (Since then I have learned a thing or two about hand quilting. My stitches then were three per inch! Not quite right, but it's still together.) I had hand stitched each fan spoke with embroidery and I loved it. I used it for years, and every morning the bedspread would be on the floor because of the quilt being silky.
    But after making that one quilt, I went back to my crochet and other crafts that I had picked up over the years. And I went back to work full time, as a florist at a major grocery store. So time was once again limited.
    My mom, however, kept on quilting. Over the years she has made 451 quilts. In these later years, she's had her quilts quilted by a long arm quilter. She has macular degeneration and is now not able to sew any more. Just last month I went to her house and took away all of her quilting stuff. She had boxes of fabric and she wanted me to take it to the Guild to make quilts for kids, because that's where so many of hers had gone, was to children. She is now legally blind and I'm sure she will expire before long because of not being able to quilt. She bemoans the fact to me every day, and she's going downhill. I will miss her when she is gone.

I will tell more later, about my own quilting experience.
    Diana
    {{{{HUGS}}}}
    Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 PM

I have been sewing most of my life and made the majority of my kids clothes. A freind who quilted, would always show me her work. I thought " all that work to put together all those tiny pieces into one quilt?" Yuk. No, I had quit sewing when my old singer went out I didn't repalce it for some time. One day I decided to get a cheap machine. There was a new quilt shop in the area and all at one=ce I got the "itch". I began with the rag quilt and made 4 of them. The cheap machine was still going BUT it was frustrating to manually adjust the machine. So I bought a Janome. This machine has served me well. After I retired, I began collecting books and magazines. I decided to paper piece a lap sized quilt and my friend helped answer some questions about it. We went fabric shopping and I became more involved. Now there is no stopping me. My stash is large and I have several projects waiting to be cut and pieced.
    Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Please Diana tell the rest of your story. We will be waiting.
    Carrie
    You all don't know how much these stories mean to me. It makes me miss my grandmother even more now. when she passed she didn't even know who I or anyone was, she had halzheimers and demincia (forgive my spelling).
    Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM

I first started sewing when I spent my summers playing with a neighbor girl. Her grandmother gave us scraps of fabric. Ironically my own Mother was a home ec major in college before she married my Dad. We rented the second floor of our house out as an apartment so that we could afford to live in the rest of the house until I was 12. The tenent made me dollclothes on her sewing machine. My own Mother owned a Featherweight that I was allowed to use after I first took sewing in Home Ec in Junior High. That first summer after that I made some of my own clothes. I remember making wrap around skirts and tank tops. This was before knits were available for home sewing. By the time I was 16 I was making most of my dresses. I decided to make a quilt out of the scraps from my sewing up to that point. It had a little bit of everything from seer sucker to kettlecloth. I handquilted it with a big fluffy poly batt and double thread. I didn't know to bury the knots. I think my husband still uses it to lie on when he changes the oil in his truck. My parents gave me a zig zag sewing machine as my High School graduation present. Until I got my own apartment several years later my Mom and I took sewing classes at our local high school in the Adult education classes. After my marriage I began to do other quilt projects. I hand embroidered enough blocks to make a bed size quilt. We used it in our masterbed for years. At the time I didn't know another soul who quilted. I saw an ad in a quilt magazine for the Great AMerican Quilt contest to celebrate the birthday of the Statue of Liberty. I actually made and submitted an entry in that contest. I didn't get asked to send my quilt. My husband took me to New York to the show where the quilts were displayed. I walked around for hours with my mouth hanging open. I had never seen such work. My quilt would have been good to wrap up some of that work to protect it from the rain. Since then I have met and joined two quilt guilds and a professional network. I helped my county document the quilts made by our citizens in a two year long project and acted as chair of the program the last year. Through the professional group I have met many of the professional quilters in the Mid Atlantic region. For more than two years I acted as program chair for both of my guilds. I have made dozens of quilts of every shape and size for my personal collection or gifts. Since becoming involved with Project Linus I have probably made several hundred quilts for them. About 15 years ago I got a part time job with a shop that sells Berninas and does custom dressmaking and alterations. I learned a whole lot about real garment sewing there. It also started my love affair with Berninas. 10 years ago I developed a rare autoimmune disease that has made me legally disabled. It has slowed me down but I still manage to get a lot of quilting done. I still do handquilting for hire when a customer is willing to pay. I made two simple machine quilted Linus quilts today. I can hardly believe I have been doing this since 1966.
    Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM

I learned how to sew in Home Economics. I hated it and stayed away from a sewing machine about 20 years. I filled my time with crochet, gardening, novels, raising my daughter and working. We bought a large house. I wanted to decorate on a limited budget so out came the little "Brother" Mother paid $100 for at Walmart. It had been a gift from her and like a good daughter I put it in the closet and didn't attempt to use it because I hated to sew. A quick trip to Hancocks and several yards of material later I had bed coverings with matching drapes in each room. Beginners luck: I chose wide material that had blocked patterns on it. I layered a solid fabric for the back, added my batting and blocked material on the top and put it on the sewing machine. I sewed the outline of the blocks, put on my binding and am using the quilts to this day. They have been washed a zillion times and still look great. I had no clue what I was doing or how to do it. It worked out fine. That was all I needed to get the passion. I couldn't get enough. Still had no idea what I was doing and still kept sewing and ripping. I have inherited 3 peoples sewing room contents. I have given away most of what I made because it was given to me. It is my goal to finally sew it all up so I can justify getting new stock. I have been using the internet the past year to see the quilting tips and tricks of the veterans. I have learned so, so much and never imigined it could be so easy to quilt. Knowledge is power. I happened upon quiltingboard.com and feel like I am totally at home. My winter projects were a California King quilt with matching drapes and pillow slips and 21 drapery panels for the sunroom. I put a zipper through the center of the quilt so I can wash it in two halves. I am very glad to be onboard. Thanks for having me/Dorothy
    Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 PM

I taught myself how to quilt last year because I wanted to make something for my Niece who was turning 1 year old. Since I am in my early 20's, many of my friends are starting to have their first children, so I have decided to make them quilts instead of buying baby presents. I have a hard time sitting still, so on my days off this has given me something to do rather than sit around and be bored. It is an addicting hobby!
    Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Sewing, I started sewing in 7th grade, a nervous sewer I was, thinking because my mother never did or had the interest. But she went out and found a second hand sewing machine in a carry case. I was thrilled. I took sewing all the way through high school. Enjoyed making things and also crafts. After my daughter was born, I had the notion of making her a quilt. I had'nt a clue how but cut out tons of 2" sqs and sewing them together to make nine patches per sq or maybe more! My colors were bad or at least I felt so, and after awhile I became flustered with the cutting and trying to match up colors! Ended up putting it away and forgetting it. Too make a long story shorter.. lol.. I always wanted to make a quilt and one day started looking around online at quilt sites, shops and pictures and happened upon this site and Now I am quilting, new, but enjoying every minute of it all~ and everyone here and their lovely projects too!
    Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 AM

I took over a sewing class from another teacher and some of her students made quilts. I decided to learn how to make quilts so that I could teach students how to make them. I took a class at an LQS and that was it. This was back in 2008. So far, I've completed 2 quilts and started 2 more. I really need to get a machine with a larger throat so that I can quilt my own quilts instead of sending them out. 8-)BTW, I am a Home Ec Teacher.
    Old 04-07-2010, 05:48 AM
    PJO

I made my first doll dress on a treadle sewing machine when I was 8 yrs. old. During the years I was raising my kids, I did a lot of crafts and sewed clothes for them but only made one quilt during that time. In the late 80's I became interested again in quilting and bought a long arm quilting machine and started quilting for others. Along came a little granddaughter that we adopted, so sold the machine and devoted my time to raising her and helping my husband with his business. That little daughter will be 20 soon and she in college, working and out on her own. Last July I purchased another long arm machine and here I go again. Guess what all the kids got for Christmas!! Yup - Quilts.