Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I want to make a Storm at Sea lap quilt >
  • I want to make a Storm at Sea lap quilt

• I want to make a Storm at Sea lap quilt

Old 06-18-2015, 04:18 PM
    Power Poster

I was going to suggest the book, A New Light on Storm at Sea Quilts by Wendy Mathson. but when I went to Amazon, I saw that it's out of print and the used copies are a million dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Storm-Qu...GBYW9NJ97448FH

I guess I would still recommend it. Different sizes, settings and construction methods. Maybe try your regular library or guild library? It is available electronically also.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 06-18-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    Old 06-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I was going to suggest the book, A New Light on Storm at Sea Quilts by Wendy Mathson. but when I went to Amazon, I saw that it's out of print and the used copies are a million dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Storm-Qu...GBYW9NJ97448FH

I guess I would still recommend it. Different sizes, settings and construction methods. Maybe try your regular library or guild library? It is available electronically also.

I had to go check on the price, cause I have seen some way ridiculous prices. 9.99 is not bad. Lol.
    Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    The author of this blog has managed to make SAS complicated ... and it's not!!

Storm at Sea is not a "block", it's a block AND a sashing combination.

Her "block A" is showing the block, top sashing, side sashing, and corner stone.

Her "block B" is the block and all 4 sides of sashing, and all 4 corner stones.

Does that make sense??
    That makes complete sense!! Why couldn't they have just said that? Thanks
    Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by patti p
    do you have EQ7 i do believe you can create the block in there any size needed, i recently made that block but ended up altering it some to fit my needs i am not at home to go into my EQ program or i would create it for you and post.
    I do have it, but I use it so rarely that I have to relearn it every time. For such a popular program it is terribly designed! I guess I will have to see if I can figure it out.
    Old 06-18-2015, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the Quilter's Cache recommendations! The instructions are so much better than that link I had found!
    Old 06-18-2015, 06:09 PM

SAS is one of my favorite quilts. I've only made one and used the Wendy Mathson trim plates that go with the book already mentioned. If you can find them, they make a 9" block and work great. If you can't find them and don't want to PP, check out Deb Tucker's diamond rec and square squared rulers. They make any size you want and those are the units that make up the SAS Block. Be sure to post pictures!
    Old 06-19-2015, 06:07 AM

I came across the Marti Mitchell templates that let you make a 2x4 diamond in rectangle, which sounds like a great size for a lap quilt... but then you have to buy one or two other sets of her templates as well to make the other sections. Anyone used those? Is it worth it? Looks like it might be annoying to cut everything with those little templates... still thinking paper piecing is the way to go.
    Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
    SAS is one of my favorite quilts. I've only made one and used the Wendy Mathson trim plates that go with the book already mentioned. If you can find them, they make a 9" block and work great. If you can't find them and don't want to PP, check out Deb Tucker's diamond rec and square squared rulers. They make any size you want and those are the units that make up the SAS Block. Be sure to post pictures!
    Thanks, I will look at her rulers. I have her Wing Clipper, but have never used it... it looks great though. (I bought it after making a ton of flying geese the hard way, thinking it would be nice next time around... but then the next time I needed it the fabric was directional and the ruler doesn't work so well for that)
    Old 06-19-2015, 06:13 AM
    Power Poster

My quilt top is a variation of Storm at Sea. I would certainly encourage anyone to try the paper piecing. There are some unusual angles, at least they were in my version that I used a pattern in an old quilt magazine. I just need to add the borders.
    Attached Thumbnails circles-friends.jpg